1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Virtual Sound Output

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Speakersrock, Mar 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Speakersrock

Speakersrock Thread Starter

Hi, I need some kind of virtual sound driver.
    Well basicailly I just need anything that works as-if there was a sound card plugged into the computer. I have tried searching for one with no luck, and just wondered if anyone here had any ideas?

Many Thanks

2. griffinspc

griffinspc

I'm not sure what you mean. Are you asking for an audio application that will work with on-board motherboard audio such as RealTek 97 to maybe take old two channel and make virtual five channel or actually looking for something that will imitate a sound card? If so you're out of luck. That would be like trying to create sound without a speaker. No hardware no sound.

3. Speakersrock

Yeah, I guess I am wanting to do the latter of what you said. If I did the first of what you said about the motherboard, would this enable me to configure this as a playback device for winanmp or itunes for example? (I understand obviousally that I would not actually hear anything!) (Thanks for advice griffinspc by the way!)

4. griffinspc

griffinspc

You're welcome. If you have on-board audio/sound now you already have a playback device for all sorts of playback applications including Windows Media Player, TrayPlay, Winamp and more. Does your PC have three holes in the rear? They are usually colored pink, green and blue. The green one is for playback. Just hook up a pair of speakers and you have sound. You probably already know this but just in case.... What make and model of PC do you have?

5. Speakersrock

Well, It does not have any holes in the rear, the only thing which closely resembles this is a fax modem, which as a speaker socket. Unfortunatly It is not a make, as it is an old office pc, which was built by the office itself.

Even though it does not have the holes, would this mean that if I installed for example the RealTek 97 drivers I could winamp play to this? (I know I would get no physical sound, But I only need it playing for now I don't actually need the sound (long story why this is!!)

I hope that makes some sense!

6. griffinspc

griffinspc

No, drivers alone won't do you'll need a sound card. This is a weird problem apparently, you need it to play but don't need to hear it. Either way a sound card is in order. The good news is depending on what type, you can get an old sound card real cheap at a local repair shop. Used, but it doesn't matter. What you will need to do is determine if you have a PCI slot for it. I would assume PCI but you never know with an "old" work computer.

Install the card, then the drivers for it and you'll have sound. I have to caution you that iPod or Winamp music may not play on an old card. Meaning the PC and card won't handle the output from an iPod or the format associated with Winamp. You're not explaining what you need to accomplish so I can't be of much more help.

7. Speakersrock

Ok. Sorry about not explaining myself very well. I think I will go to my local PC shop and see I can pick one up Cheap. I know the "old"! PC does have PCI slots as i installed something into it the other day.

Thanks for all the help griffinspc.

p.s You said it's a wried problem needing to play but not hear the sound! This is because I run an Internet Radio Station, and The computer I was using broke. So I've had to yank this old pc out for temp. use, until i get the thing fixed (Hence why I did not want to have to buy a Sound Card!) But as you surgested, I should be able to pick an old one up cheaply)

Cheers ;)

8. griffinspc

griffinspc

Good luck.

9. targetradio

targetradio

"This is a weird problem apparently, you need it to play but don't need to hear it. Either way a sound card is in order."

I DO need to play without necessarily hearing....I need to stream 5 independent audio streams using "Raduga" radio software (this works just fine running 5 instances on one PC), encoding with Windows Media Encoder to five separate ports on my modem.
    The problem lies between "Raduga" and "WME"....I have tried to install 5 audio cards but am getting conflicts and audio quality issues.
    "Raduga" allows me to select any audio card/device, but WME will only play one stream with quality, the other streams are very poor audio.
    It has been suggested that I try "Virtual Audio Cards" as they are not hardware and I only need an output from them to link to WME.

I hope you can develop this to help me!
    My OS is W2KPro.

10. Speakersrock

Hi there targetradio, and welcome to the forum.

I don't know much about Radguda radio software, but, taking a wild Guess It sounds a lot like all your sound card are not getting enough power, or are just really old!

I use two soundcards mostly in my setup. But for having mulipile streams, I would, yes, use some kindof virtual sound card.

I think I know what way this is heading, but before I explan how I think you can get around the problem, could you clarify what you use the different streams for? Are they fr different quality? or do they all have different outputs? et.c?

11. targetradio

targetradio

Thanks for the quick response Speakersrock.
    Raduga is a well know radio station software programme, very reliable and easy to work with...LOL...no more advert for it but worth checking out.
    The power is not an issue as I have a 500w PSU, and the soundcards are "SB live", I am sure it is an IRQ problem.

BUT...I have found the solution, thanks to Carlos Boni (IT Guru). He suggested a Virtual cable redirect and it works 100% perfectly. I found and downloaded "Virtual Audio Cable" - http://software.muzychenko.net/eng/vac.html - set up is kinda straightforward and easy to adjust. The best thing is that it costs only 21€!!
    I have been "streaming" 5 distinct test feeds since installing yesterday as follows;
    5 instances of Raduga with 5 different playlists using 5 "Virtual Audio Cables" - input
    5 instances of Windows Media Player connecting to 5 "Virtual Audio Cables" - output
    I can hear each stream on other PC's on my office network, but not in real time obviously.

At the moment each stream is using one channel only, but this is beacuse I have selected that option (my working project needs only mono feed) and for a short time these test feeds will be online if anyone wants to check them out on http://81.36.215.171:8082 through 8086. As I will be tweaking and playlisting there may be short periods when a particular feed is offline.

I hope this helps anyone looking for a virtual audio card for streaming purposes.

12. Speakersrock

Hi, and no problem!
    Oh right, Im not to sure how come I haven't heard of that one in that case, but at least I do now!! :D:D

Gee!..I have been searching for something like that for ages and ages!, Thanks!!
    And Im glad you have an easy fix there.

Unfortunately, I am getting nothing when I goto any of your streams. This maybe because I am too late? (Hopefully for your sake!)

I will be using the program sometime in the future, Thanks! :)

13. targetradio

targetradio

You must have tried during my config times, or just tried to click on the link. You need to copy and paste the link into "Windows Media Player - File - Open URL"
    At the moment I am streaming 8080, 8084, 8085 and 8086 all in stereo at about 64k.

14. Speakersrock

15. targetradio

targetradio

You say "Page cannot be displayed", that is the message you will get if you click on the link and IE or Mozilla is launched. I must admit I haven't tried Winamp but the links work in Windows Media Player.
    I use http://www.canyouseeme.org/ to test my ports but the link you sent me also shows them open.
    This morning I checked to see how many IP address hits came up in the log and overnight I had 2 on 8080, 4 on 8084, 4 on 8085 and 7 on 8086. I had asked a few friends to try it out for me as well as posting here.
    I will try out Winamp to see if there is a problem, thanks for the info.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/551120

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice