1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Virtual Windows machine

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by maxmuscle27, Aug 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. maxmuscle27

maxmuscle27 Thread Starter

I am looking for a solution in order to have 3-4 users be able to Remote Desktop into
    one XP pc all at the same time. Currently, when a user is logged on, and another person
    tries to Remote Desktop into the same pc, it kicks off the first user.
    I edited the termsrv.dll file in order to prevent this but it didn't work.
    Any suggestion on a fix?

2. Soundy

Soundy

Windows Server 2003

3. maxmuscle27

Is there a way to do it without having to go out and buy windows server 2003?
    I would like to set something up without having to spend more cash.

4. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

I can do multiple connections with UltraVNC. As with Remote Desktop though I think its only to one user account at a time which makes just veiwing the proceedings of one person in charge viable, but not if everyone expects to conduct their own activities.

5. Soundy

Soundy

To do it with Remote Desktop requires a version of Windows Server with Terminal Services (Remote Desktop basically IS a single-user Terminal Services). If you log in remotely to a regular XP machine with Remote Desktop, it just kicks the local screen to the login prompt, so it's not even possible for that person to watch what's going on.

A third-party sharing app, like fairnooks suggests, is the only way to do it (but can each user have his own separate session with UNVC?)

6. mt2002

mt2002

I use Dameware at work which allows this, assuming that you want to use 3rd party software.

7. maxmuscle27

I don't really care what I use as long as I can get it setup and working...Dameware software a third party freeware?

8. Wanderer2

Wanderer2

It costs money
    http://www.dameware.com/sales/pricing.aspx

My experience with vnc was it kicked out the 1st vnc session when you started the 2nd

Since this is trouted at a admin remote management utility I do not believe it will behave as you desire. You would not want two admin on the same machine both making changes.

If you think about it, if it did, you would be in violation of the XP EULA which explicitly states single user of the OS.

This is why Terminal Server Services exists which is only supported on the server platform. Not only would you need a 2003/8 server but you would have to buy TS cals which are not cheap.

You may also create a condition, if these desired remote users are accessing installed software, that would put you in violation of that installed software licensing if single use software.

9. maxmuscle27

Thanks for the info guys

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/742286

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice