Virtumondo victim

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

shockeddaphn

I am another Virtumondo victim. I have read several of the answers to others with this problem, but because of my lack of computer expertise I do not know how to Post the HiJack Log. I have tried for weeks to solve this problem. I have Windows XP home edition. I have downloaded MicroSoft AntiSpyware. It runs every night and finds Virtumondo.C and every day I remove it and every night it is there again. Winfixer pop ups come up everytime I go to a new website. I purchased Spyware Doctor from PC tools which was probably a bad move. It doesn't seem to help. I also use McAfee Security. It came free with my Dell computer for one year and I renewed it at that time. I have also run Microsoft Service Pack 2 because someone suggested that (even though I don't really know what it is). Someone also suggested I run the AntiSpyware in Safemode. They told me how to get to Safemode by pressing F8 when the computer is restarting. I can get to the screen where the choices are Safemode with Networking option, or Safemode with Command Prompt, and several other things. I chose Safemode with Command Prompt and all I get is a black screen with the words Safemode in the bottom corners.

I need step by step, keystroke by keystroke instructions because I am crazed by this and don't know enough about this stuff to be effective. I am competent in word processing which I do in my job, but at work someone else keeps me up and running. I can't get anyone to help me. I am ready to get rid of my computer and get a new one (even though it is only 15 months old). I am DESPERATE. Any help will be GREATLY APPRECIATED.

Cheeseball81

Retired Moderator
Welcome to TSG :)

Click here to download HJTsetup.exe: http://www.thespykiller.co.uk/files/HJTSetup.exe
Save HJTsetup.exe to your desktop.

Double click on the HJTsetup.exe icon on your desktop.
By default it will install to C:\Program Files\Hijack This.
Continue to click Next in the setup dialogue boxes until you get to the Select Addition Tasks dialogue.
Put a check by Create a desktop icon then click Next again.
Continue to follow the rest of the prompts from there.
At the final dialogue box click Finish and it will launch Hijack This.
Click on the Do a system scan and save a log file button. It will scan and then ask you to save the log.
Click Save to save the log file and then the log will open in notepad.
Click on "Edit > Select All" then click on "Edit > Copy" to copy the entire contents of the log.
Come back here to this thread and Paste the log in your next reply.
DO NOT have Hijack This fix anything yet. Most of what it finds will be harmless or even required.

shockeddaphn

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 1:14:35 AM, on 12/28/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\AOL\ACS\acsd.exe
C:\Program Files\EarthLink TotalAccess\WENGINE\wmonitor.exe
c:\program files\mcafee.com\agent\mcdetect.exe
c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcshield.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\hkcmd.exe
c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mctskshd.exe
c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\OasClnt.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7DEBUG\MDM.EXE
C:\Program Files\Real\RealPlayer\RealPlay.exe
c:\program files\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsshld.exe
C:\WINDOWS\wanmpsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\MusicMatch\MusicMatch Jukebox\mmtask.exe
C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\MUSICMATCH Jukebox\mm_tray.exe
c:\program files\mcafee.com\agent\mcagent.exe
c:\progra~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsescn.exe
C:\Program Files\HP\hpcoretech\hpcmpmgr.exe
C:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Dell Support\DSAgnt.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasDtServ.exe
C:\Program Files\EarthLink TotalAccess\TaskPanl.exe
C:\Program Files\Digital Line Detect\DLG.exe
C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqtra08.exe
C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqgalry.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\HPZipm12.exe
C:\Program Files\Hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.dell4me.com/myway
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = http://start.earthlink.net/AL/Search
R3 - URLSearchHook: SrchHook Class - {44F9B173-041C-4825-A9B9-D914BD9DCBB3} - C:\Program Files\EarthLink TotalAccess\ElnIE.dll
R3 - URLSearchHook: (no name) - ~CFBFAE00-17A6-11D0-99CB-00C04FD64497} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {549B5CA7-4A86-11D7-A4DF-000874180BB3} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: DriveLetterAccess - {5CA3D70E-1895-11CF-8E15-001234567890} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswshx.dll
O2 - BHO: MSEvents Object - {FC148228-87E1-4D00-AC06-58DCAA52A4D1} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ddaba.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {FDD3B846-8D59-4ffb-8758-209B6AD74ACC} - (no file)
O3 - Toolbar: McAfee VirusScan - {BA52B914-B692-46c4-B683-905236F6F655} - c:\progra~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsshl.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IgfxTray] C:\WINDOWS\System32\igfxtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\WINDOWS\System32\hkcmd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [dla] C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UpdateManager] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sonic\Update Manager\sgtray.exe" /r
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RealTray] C:\Program Files\Real\RealPlayer\RealPlay.exe SYSTEMBOOTHIDEPLAYER
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [mmtask] c:\Program Files\MusicMatch\MusicMatch Jukebox\mmtask.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MMTray] C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\MUSICMATCH Jukebox\mm_tray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VSOCheckTask] "C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\VSO\mcmnhdlr.exe" /checktask
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCAgentExe] c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcagent.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCUpdateExe] C:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcupdate.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VirusScan Online] C:\Program Files\McAfee.com\VSO\mcvsshld.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Component Manager] "C:\Program Files\HP\hpcoretech\hpcmpmgr.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Software Update] C:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [OASClnt] C:\Program Files\McAfee.com\VSO\oasclnt.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [gcasServ] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MoneyAgent] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money\System\mnyexpr.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [DellSupport] "C:\Program Files\Dell Support\DSAgnt.exe" /startup
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [E6TaskPanel] "C:\Program Files\EarthLink TotalAccess\TaskPanl.exe" -winstart
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
O4 - Global Startup: America Online 9.0 Tray Icon.lnk = C:\Program Files\America Online 9.0\aoltray.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Digital Line Detect.lnk = ?
O4 - Global Startup: HP Digital Imaging Monitor.lnk = C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqtra08.exe
O4 - Global Startup: HP Image Zone Fast Start.lnk = C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqthb08.exe
O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel present
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~4\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msjava.dll (file missing)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msjava.dll (file missing)
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~4\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: Real.com - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\Shdocvw.dll
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool) - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=39204
O16 - DPF: {4ED9DDF0-7479-4BBE-9335-5A1EDB1D8A21} (McAfee.com Operating System Class) - http://download.mcafee.com/molbin/shared/mcinsctl/en-us/4,0,0,90/mcinsctl.cab
O16 - DPF: {6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3} (MUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/V5Controls/en/x86/client/muweb_site.cab?1135139733812
O16 - DPF: {BCC0FF27-31D9-4614-A68E-C18E1ADA4389} (DwnldGroupMgr Class) - http://download.mcafee.com/molbin/shared/mcgdmgr/en-us/1,0,0,23/mcgdmgr.cab
O20 - Winlogon Notify: ddaba - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ddaba.dll
O20 - Winlogon Notify: igfxcui - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\igfxsrvc.dll
O23 - Service: AOL Connectivity Service (AOL ACS) - America Online, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\AOL\ACS\acsd.exe
O23 - Service: EarthLink Monitor Service (EarthLinkMonitor) - Boingo Wireless, Inc. - C:\Program Files\EarthLink TotalAccess\WENGINE\wmonitor.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee WSC Integration (McDetect.exe) - McAfee, Inc - c:\program files\mcafee.com\agent\mcdetect.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee.com McShield (McShield) - McAfee Inc. - c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcshield.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Task Scheduler (McTskshd.exe) - McAfee, Inc - c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mctskshd.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee SecurityCenter Update Manager (mcupdmgr.exe) - McAfee, Inc - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\Agent\mcupdmgr.exe
O23 - Service: Pml Driver HPZ12 - HP - C:\WINDOWS\System32\HPZipm12.exe
O23 - Service: WAN Miniport (ATW) Service (WANMiniportService) - America Online, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\wanmpsvc.exe

That went pretty well!

Cheeseball81

Retired Moderator
** Before you proceed with the removal directions below you need to turn off MS Anti-Spyware's realtime protection as it will interfere with the changes we are trying to make.

Open MS Anti-Spyware and click on Options>Settings.
Click on "Realtime Protection" in the left pane.
Remove the check by these:
Enable the Microsoft Security Agents on startup. (recommended)
Enable real-time spyware threat protection. (recommended)
Click "Save".
Now right click the MS Anti-spyware icon in your system tray and choose "Shutdown Microsoft Anti-Spyware".
You should re-enable these when we are finished here.

* Copy these instructions to notepad and save them to your desktop. You will need them to refer to.

Click here to download Please download VundoFix.exe.
  • Save the VundoFix.exe file to your desktop.
  • Double-click VundoFix.exe to extract the files.
  • This will create a VundoFix folder on your desktop.
  • After the files are extracted, please reboot your computer into Safe Mode. You can do this by restarting your computer and continually tapping the F8 key until a menu appears. Use your up arrow key to highlight Safe Mode then hit enter.
  • Once in safe mode open the VundoFix folder and doubleclick on KillVundo.bat
  • You will first be presented with a warning that should look like this
    VundoFix V2.13 by Atri
    By using VundoFix you agree that you are doing so at your own risk
    Press enter to continue....
  • At this point press the Enter key on your keyboard one time.
  • Next you will see:
    Please Type in the filepath as instructed by the forum staff and then press enter:
  • At this point please type the following file path (make sure to enter it exactly as below!):
    • C:\WINDOWS\system32\ddaba.dll
  • Press Enter to continue with the fix.
  • Next you will see:
    Please type in the second filepath as instructed by
    the forum staff then press enter:
  • At this point please type the following file path (make sure to enter it exactly as below!):
    • C:\WINDOWS\system32\abadd.*

• If you have a script blocker running, you may get a warning about a malicious script. Allow the script to run. It is not malicious.

• The fix will run then HijackThis will open, if it does not open automatically please open it manually.

• In HiJackThis, please place a check next to the following items and
    click FIX CHECKED:

• O2 - BHO: MSEvents Object - {FC148228-87E1-4D00-AC06-58DCAA52A4D1} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ddaba.dll

[*]O20 - Winlogon Notify: ddaba - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ddaba.dll

• After you have fixed these items, close Hijackthis.

• Press enter to exit the program then manually reboot your computer.

• Once your machine reboots please continue with the instructions below.

*Download Cleanup from Here
  • Open Cleanup! by double-clicking the icon on your desktop (or from the Start > All Programs menu).
  • Click the Options... button on the right.
  • Move the arrow down to "Custom CleanUp!"
  • Put a check next to the following (Make sure nothing else is checked!):
    • Empty Recycle Bins
    • Delete Cookies
    • Cleanup! All Users
    Click OK
  • Press the CleanUp! button to start the program.
  • It may ask you to reboot at the end, click NO.

* Run ActiveScan online virus scan here
  • When the scan is finished, anything that it cannot clean have it delete it.
  • Save the results from the scan!
  • Copy the results of the ActiveScan and paste them here along with a new HiJackThis log and the vundofix.txt file from the vundofix folder into this topic.

shockeddaphn

I have disabled MS AntiSpyware.

I downloaded the VundoFix.exe file and there is a VundoFix folder on my desktop. However, when I get into SafeMode the folder is nowhere to be found. ????????

shockeddaphn

I have followed all the instructions and below are the results. The ActiveScan says that Virtumonde is still present. Also I have included the new HiJackThis log and the vundofix.txt file. What should I do now?

Incident Status Location

Spyware:spyware/virtumonde Not disinfected Windows Registry
Spyware:Spyware/Virtumonde Not disinfected C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\pmnlk.dll

Scan saved at 11:13:48 AM, on 12/28/2005

Running processes:
C:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcagent.exe
C:\Program Files\McAfee.com\VSO\mcvsshld.exe
C:\Program Files\McAfee.com\VSO\oasclnt.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\WINWORD.EXE

R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.dell4me.com/myway
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = http://start.earthlink.net/AL/Search
R3 - URLSearchHook: SrchHook Class - {44F9B173-041C-4825-A9B9-D914BD9DCBB3} - C:\Program Files\EarthLink TotalAccess\ElnIE.dll
R3 - URLSearchHook: (no name) - ~CFBFAE00-17A6-11D0-99CB-00C04FD64497} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: DriveLetterAccess - {5CA3D70E-1895-11CF-8E15-001234567890} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswshx.dll
O3 - Toolbar: McAfee VirusScan - {BA52B914-B692-46c4-B683-905236F6F655} - c:\progra~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsshl.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UpdateManager] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sonic\Update Manager\sgtray.exe" /r
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RealTray] C:\Program Files\Real\RealPlayer\RealPlay.exe SYSTEMBOOTHIDEPLAYER
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [mmtask] c:\Program Files\MusicMatch\MusicMatch Jukebox\mmtask.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MMTray] C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\MUSICMATCH Jukebox\mm_tray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VSOCheckTask] "C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\VSO\mcmnhdlr.exe" /checktask
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCUpdateExe] c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcupdate.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VirusScan Online] C:\Program Files\McAfee.com\VSO\mcvsshld.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Component Manager] "C:\Program Files\HP\hpcoretech\hpcmpmgr.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Software Update] C:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [gcasServ] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MoneyAgent] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money\System\mnyexpr.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [DellSupport] "C:\Program Files\Dell Support\DSAgnt.exe" /startup
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [E6TaskPanel] "C:\Program Files\EarthLink TotalAccess\TaskPanl.exe" -winstart
O4 - HKCU\..\RunOnce: [CleanUp!] C:\Program Files\CleanUp!\Cleanup.exe /WindowsRestart
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
O4 - Global Startup: America Online 9.0 Tray Icon.lnk = C:\Program Files\America Online 9.0\aoltray.exe
O4 - Global Startup: HP Digital Imaging Monitor.lnk = C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqtra08.exe
O4 - Global Startup: HP Image Zone Fast Start.lnk = C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqthb08.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~4\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msjava.dll (file missing)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msjava.dll (file missing)
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~4\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: Real.com - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\Shdocvw.dll
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool) - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=39204
O16 - DPF: {4ED9DDF0-7479-4BBE-9335-5A1EDB1D8A21} (McAfee.com Operating System Class) - http://download.mcafee.com/molbin/shared/mcinsctl/en-us/4,0,0,90/mcinsctl.cab
O16 - DPF: {6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3} (MUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/V5Controls/en/x86/client/muweb_site.cab?1135139733812
O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - http://acs.pandasoftware.com/activescan/as5free/asinst.cab
O16 - DPF: {BCC0FF27-31D9-4614-A68E-C18E1ADA4389} (DwnldGroupMgr Class) - http://download.mcafee.com/molbin/shared/mcgdmgr/en-us/1,0,0,23/mcgdmgr.cab
O23 - Service: AOL Connectivity Service (AOL ACS) - America Online, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\AOL\ACS\acsd.exe
O23 - Service: EarthLink Monitor Service (EarthLinkMonitor) - Boingo Wireless, Inc. - C:\Program Files\EarthLink TotalAccess\WENGINE\wmonitor.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee WSC Integration (McDetect.exe) - McAfee, Inc - c:\program files\mcafee.com\agent\mcdetect.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee.com McShield (McShield) - McAfee Inc. - c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcshield.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Task Scheduler (McTskshd.exe) - McAfee, Inc - c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mctskshd.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee SecurityCenter Update Manager (mcupdmgr.exe) - McAfee, Inc - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\Agent\mcupdmgr.exe
O23 - Service: WAN Miniport (ATW) Service (WANMiniportService) - America Online, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\wanmpsvc.exe

VundoFix V2.15 by Atri
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Listing files contained in the vundofix folder.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

killvundo.bat
process.exe
ReadMe.txt
vundo.reg
vundofix.txt

Filepaths entered

The filepath entered was C:\WINDOWS\system32\ddaba.dll

The second filepath entered was C:\WINDOWS\system32\abadd.*

Log from Process

Killing PID 132 'smss.exe'

Killing PID 740 'explorer.exe'

Killing PID 208 'winlogon.exe'

C:\WINDOWS\system32\ddaba.dll Deleted sucessfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\abadd.* Deleted sucessfully.

Fixing Registry

Cheeseball81

Retired Moderator
Click here to download the trial version of Ewido Security Suite:
http://www.ewido.net/en/download/

· Install Ewido.
· During the installation, under "Additional Options" uncheck "Install background guard" and "Install scan via context menu".
· Launch ewido.
· It will prompt you to update click the OK button and it will go to the main screen.
· On the left side of the main screen click update.
· Click on Start and let it update.
· DO NOT run a scan yet.

Restart your computer into Safe Mode now.
(Start tapping the F8 key at Startup, before the Windows logo screen).
Perform the following steps in Safe Mode:

* Run Ewido:
Click on scanner
Click Complete System Scan and the scan will begin.
During the scan it will prompt you to clean files, click OK.
When the scan is finished, look at the bottom of the screen and click the Save report button.
Save the report to your desktop.

Reboot.

Post a new Hijack This log and the results of the Ewido scan.

shockeddaphn

Scan saved at 4:15:44 PM, on 12/28/2005

Running processes:
C:\Program Files\ewido anti-malware\ewidoctrl.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe

O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - http://acs.pandasoftware.com/activescan/as5free/asinst.cab
O23 - Service: ewido security suite control - ewido networks - C:\Program Files\ewido anti-malware\ewidoctrl.exe

---------------------------------------------------------
ewido anti-malware - Scan report
---------------------------------------------------------

+ Created on: 3:51:21 PM, 12/28/2005
+ Report-Checksum: 2952A134

+ Scan result:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\MSEvents.MSEvents -> Spyware.VirtuMonde : Error during cleaning
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\MSEvents.MSEvents\CLSID -> Spyware.VirtuMonde : Error during cleaning
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\MSEvents.MSEvents\CurVer -> Spyware.VirtuMonde : Error during cleaning
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\MSEvents.MSEvents.1 -> Spyware.VirtuMonde : Error during cleaning
C:\Documents and Settings\Sue Shock\Application Data\Earthlink\6.0\[email protected]\Cookies\sue [email protected][1].txt -> Spyware.Cookie.2o7 : Cleaned with backup
C:\Documents and Settings\Sue Shock\Application Data\Earthlink\6.0\[email protected]\Cookies\sue [email protected][2].txt -> Spyware.Cookie.Advertising : Cleaned with backup
C:\Documents and Settings\Sue Shock\Application Data\Earthlink\6.0\[email protected]\Cookies\sue [email protected][1].txt -> Spyware.Cookie.Doubleclick : Cleaned with backup
C:\Documents and Settings\Sue Shock\Application Data\Earthlink\6.0\[email protected]\Cookies\sue [email protected][2].txt -> Spyware.Cookie.Liveperson : Cleaned with backup
C:\Documents and Settings\Sue Shock\Application Data\Earthlink\6.0\[email protected]\Cookies\sue [email protected][2].txt -> Spyware.Cookie.Advertising : Cleaned with backup
C:\Documents and Settings\Sue Shock\Cookies\sue [email protected][2].txt -> Spyware.Cookie.2o7 : Cleaned with backup
C:\Documents and Settings\Sue Shock\Cookies\sue [email protected][2].txt -> Spyware.Cookie.Advertising : Cleaned with backup
C:\Documents and Settings\Sue Shock\Cookies\sue [email protected][2].txt -> Spyware.Cookie.Atdmt : Cleaned with backup
C:\Documents and Settings\Sue Shock\Cookies\sue [email protected][1].txt -> Spyware.Cookie.Doubleclick : Cleaned with backup
C:\Documents and Settings\Sue Shock\Cookies\sue [email protected][1].txt -> Spyware.Cookie.Mediaplex : Cleaned with backup
C:\Documents and Settings\Sue Shock\Cookies\sue [email protected][1].txt -> Spyware.Cookie.Liveperson : Cleaned with backup
C:\Documents and Settings\Sue Shock\Cookies\sue [email protected][1].txt -> Spyware.Cookie.Statcounter : Cleaned with backup
C:\System Volume Information\_restore{B37680B2-BA0A-4E5D-BF30-83E44C588624}\RP547\A0022178.dll -> Spyware.Virtumonde : Cleaned with backup
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\pmnlk.dll -> Downloader.Agent.yf : Cleaned with backup

::Report End

After doing this - I ran MS AntiSpyware and it still showed Virtumonde present. HELP!

Cheeseball81

Retired Moderator
Download KillBox here: http://www.downloads.subratam.org/KillBox.zip
Save it to your desktop.
DO NOT run it yet.

Rescan with Hijack This.
Close all browser windows except Hijack This.
Put a check mark beside these entries and click "Fix Checked".

Boot into Safe Mode.

Double-click on Killbox.exe to run it.
Now put a tick by Standard File Kill.
In the "Full Path of File to Delete" box, copy and paste each of the following lines one at a time then click on the button that has the red circle with the X in the middle after you enter each file.
It will ask for confimation to delete the file.
Click Yes.
Continue with that same procedure until you have copied and pasted all of these in the "Paste Full Path of File to Delete" box.

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\pmnlk.dll

Note: It is possible that Killbox will tell you that one or more files do not exist.
If that happens, just continue on with all the files. Be sure you don't miss any.

Exit the KillBox.

Also in Safe Mode navigate to the C:\Windows\Temp folder.
Open the Temp folder and go to Edit > Select All then Edit > Delete to delete the entire contents of the Temp folder.

Go to Start > Run and type %temp% in the Run box.
The Temp folder will open. Click Edit > Select All then Edit > Delete to delete the entire contents of the Temp folder.

It's normal if some files don't delete!

Finally go to Control Panel > Internet Options.
On the General tab under "Temporary Internet Files" Click "Delete Files".
Put a check by "Delete Offline Content" and click OK.
Click on the Programs tab then click the "Reset Web Settings" button.
Click Apply then OK.

Empty the Recycle Bin.

Reboot, post a new log.

shockeddaphn

Scan saved at 8:39:33 PM, on 12/28/2005

Running processes:

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCUpdateExe] C:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\McUpdate.exe
O23 - Service: ewido security suite control - ewido networks - C:\Program Files\ewido anti-malware\ewidoctrl.exe

Last set of instructions to run Killbox went smoothly. In the "Full Path of File to Delete" box the instructions sounded like I would have several files to delete. However, you listed only one file "C\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\pmnlk.dll". Was that correct?

After I finished and ran MS Spyware and again was told:

51 memory locations scanned 0 detected
24154 files checked 0 detected
9734 registry locations checked 14 detected
1 spyware threat detected

Am I doing something wrong? I am ready to put a brick through my computer screen. HELP! P.S. I will be happy to make a donation to the Tech Guys once I get this fixed.

Cheeseball81

Retired Moderator
Fix this entry again:

The detections seem to be in the registry.

Try EasyCleaner: http://www.majorgeeks.com/download414.html

Use the clear files and Unnecessary files buttons - I do not recommend
using the Duplicates files button as many dupes are there on purpose.

In the unnecessary button, check the top 4 entries

shockeddaphn

When you say fix this entry again:

what do I use to fix it?

I have tried Easy Cleaner - It took out the unnessary files but would not delete the 14 files under clear files.

What next?

Cheeseball81

Retired Moderator
Use Hijack This to fix it.

I've asked Cookiegal to make a registry fix for you. But it won't be ready until tomorrow morning.

Cookiegal

Karen
Administrator
Malware Specialist Coordinator
The vundo fix should take care of those registry entries so before we do it with a registry edit, let's do the following please.

Please print these instructions out for use in Safe Mode.

Please download VundoFix.exe to your desktop.
  • Double-click VundoFix.exe to extract the files
  • This will create a VundoFix folder on your desktop.
  • After the files are extracted, please reboot your computer into Safe Mode. You can do this by restarting your computer and continually tapping the F8 key until a menu appears. Use your up arrow key to highlight Safe Mode then hit enter.
  • Once in safe mode open the VundoFix folder and doubleclick on KillVundo.bat
  • You will first be presented with a warning.
    It should look like this
    VundoFix V2.15 by Atri
    By using VundoFix you agree that you are doing so at your own risk
    Press enter to continue....
  • At this point press enter one time.
  • Next you will see:
    Please Type in the file path as instructed by the forum staff
    and then press enter:

• C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\pmnlk.dll

• Next you will see:
    Please type in the second file path as instructed by the forum
    staff then press enter:

• C:\WINDOWS\klnmp.*

• The fix will run then HijackThis will open. Just close it.
  • Press enter to exit the program then manually reboot your computer if it doesn't restart itself.
  • The fix will tell you to shutdown using the Power button. Hold in your power button until the computer shuts down. Wait about 15 seconds and then restart the computer into regular windows.

Chkdsk will run. This is normal. It will take a few minutes and is checking your file system because of the Bad Shutdown we caused.

Now run this tool as well:

Adware-Virtumundo Removal Tool v1.2 (Associated with WinFixer Popups)

Note: This tools does not remove the WinFixer application. WinFixer alone does not cause popups or disrupt the system. If WinFixer was installed on your system because Adware or a Trojan Downloader installed it without your permission, please remove it using the Add/Remove Programs Control Panel Applet.

If Virtumundo is not found, the tool will exit showing the log file.
If Virtumundo is found it will do the following:

Version 1.1
Create a Date/Time Stamped log file (VBG.TXT) on the All Users profile's Desktop.
Kill Internet Explorer and Explorer processes.
Rename the infected files with a .vir extension (this is to disable them from being run)
Remove the Browser Helper Object registry key
Adds a registry value to block file from running in Internet Explorer again.
Remove the Winlogon Notify registry key
Automatically restart the computer (via STOP error)
Note: This is a BLUE SCREEN "Fatal Error" Message. It is normal and expected. The tool ends an important Windows Process that was protecting the file and NT Security STOPS the system as soon as it detects this is happening.

Version 1.2
Removed the instruction to Stop McShield
Cleaned up some logging messages.
Added checking for BHO with no default name. These entries will be checked to see if they are referenced to be start up with WinLogon. If it is, it will be tagged as Virtumundo and removed.

VirusScan will now be able to remove the files normally when you run an on-demand scan.

Download Link -> http://secured2k.home.comcast.net/tools/VirtumundoBeGone.exe [76.2 KB]MD5 SUM: a210c12a8264c024da5e0b05cb082a14

Then run your antivirus to remove any left over files.

Please run another Panda active scan and save the log.

Post a fresh HJT log along with the panda scan log and the report from this tool please.

shockeddaphn

The logs for the Panda ActiveScan, Virtumundo Removal Tool and HJT are below.

Here is ActiveScan:

Incident Status Location
Spyware:spyware/virtumonde Not disinfected Windows Registry
Here is the log from Adware-Virtumondo Removal Tool v1.2 - I ran it twice.

[12/29/2005, 10:17:36] - VirtumundoBeGone v1.5 ( "C:\Documents and Settings\Sue Shock\Desktop\VirtumundoBeGone.exe" )
[12/29/2005, 10:19:37] - Detected System Information:
[12/29/2005, 10:19:37] - Windows Version: 5.1.2600, Service Pack 2
[12/29/2005, 10:19:37] - Current Username: Sue Shock (Admin)
[12/29/2005, 10:19:37] - Windows is in NORMAL mode.
[12/29/2005, 10:19:37] - Searching for Browser Helper Objects:
[12/29/2005, 10:19:37] - BHO 1: {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} (AcroIEHlprObj Class)
[12/29/2005, 10:19:37] - BHO 2: {5CA3D70E-1895-11CF-8E15-001234567890} (DriveLetterAccess)
[12/29/2005, 10:19:37] - BHO 3: {FDD3B846-8D59-4ffb-8758-209B6AD74ACC} ()
[12/29/2005, 10:19:37] - WARNING: BHO has no default name. Checking for Winlogon reference.
[12/29/2005, 10:19:37] - No filename found. Continuing.
[12/29/2005, 10:19:37] - Finished Searching Browser Helper Objects
[12/29/2005, 10:19:37] - Finishing up...
[12/29/2005, 10:19:37] - Nothing found! Exiting...

[12/30/2005, 14:48:31] - VirtumundoBeGone v1.5 ( "C:\Documents and Settings\Sue Shock\Desktop\VirtumundoBeGone.exe" )
[12/30/2005, 14:48:37] - Detected System Information:
[12/30/2005, 14:48:37] - Windows Version: 5.1.2600, Service Pack 2
[12/30/2005, 14:48:37] - Current Username: Sue Shock (Admin)
[12/30/2005, 14:48:37] - Windows is in NORMAL mode.
[12/30/2005, 14:48:37] - Searching for Browser Helper Objects:
[12/30/2005, 14:48:37] - BHO 1: {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} (AcroIEHlprObj Class)
[12/30/2005, 14:48:37] - BHO 2: {5CA3D70E-1895-11CF-8E15-001234567890} (DriveLetterAccess)
[12/30/2005, 14:48:37] - BHO 3: {FDD3B846-8D59-4ffb-8758-209B6AD74ACC} ()
[12/30/2005, 14:48:37] - WARNING: BHO has no default name. Checking for Winlogon reference.
[12/30/2005, 14:48:37] - No filename found. Continuing.
[12/30/2005, 14:48:37] - Finished Searching Browser Helper Objects
[12/30/2005, 14:48:37] - Finishing up...
[12/30/2005, 14:48:37] - Nothing found! Exiting...

Here is the HJT log:

Scan saved at 5:37:35 PM, on 12/30/2005

Running processes:

I ran the MicroSoft AntiSpyware scan again and the results were the following:

Spyware Scan Details
Start Date: 12/30/2005 1:38:38 PM
End Date: 12/30/2005 1:42:49 PM
Total Time: 4 mins 11 secs

Detected Threats

Virtumondo.C Adware more information...
High threat - High-risk items have a large potential for harm, such as loss of computer control, and should be removed unless knowingly installed.

Infected registry keys/values detected
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MSEvents.MSEvents
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\MSEvents.MSEvents.1 MSEvents Object
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\MSEvents.MSEvents
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\MSEvents.MSEvents\CLSID {FC148228-87E1-4D00-AC06-58DCAA52A4D1}
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\MSEvents.MSEvents\CurVer MSEvents.MSEvents.1
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\MSEvents.MSEvents MSEvents Object
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MSEvents.MSEvents\CLSID {FC148228-87E1-4D00-AC06-58DCAA52A4D1}
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MSEvents.MSEvents\CurVer MSEvents.MSEvents.1
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MSEvents.MSEvents MSEvents Object
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MSEvents.MSEvents.1
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MSEvents.MSEvents.1\CLSID {FC148228-87E1-4D00-AC06-58DCAA52A4D1}
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MSEvents.MSEvents.1 MSEvents Object
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\MSEvents.MSEvents.1
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\MSEvents.MSEvents.1\CLSID {FC148228-87E1-4D00-AC06-58DCAA52A4D1}

When I ran my McAfee virus scan I get the following:

File Name: C:\Documents and Settings\Sue Shock\Local Settings\Temp\nsj17.tmp
Scan Information: PUP Name: PrcViewer

File Name: C:\Documents and Settings\Sue Shock\Local Settings\Temp\nsk16.tmp
Scan Information: PUP Name: PrcViewer

I click to delete these and it says that it does - but when I run the scan again the same things shows up.

HELP! Am I ever going to get rid of this problem?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online