Virus and a phone call?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

CanadianGirl22

Hey everyone, my grandparents just called to ask for my help. Someone with an Indian accent called their house and said they were from Microsoft, and there was something wrong with their computer. My grandfather booted it up and got some kind of black screen, that is not normal. He told the guy he would call him back and ended it then called me.

I'm going to assume something is wrong, and I'd just like to know if anyone is familiar with this and can offer any advice to fix things in the safest way possible. I really don't know what he saw, other than it was black and was not something he normally sees. They aren't tech savvy at all, and mostly use it for Skype, email and some web browsing.

Could they have a virus that did somehow get their phone number? When I was reading up on the phone calls it seemed like they always called you and talked you into going somewhere that gave you a virus.

I'll be going over this week with my own laptop to fix it, but I've never even heard of something like this before and just want to make sure I won't make it worse immediately. I'm assuming disconnecting the internet is step one, but should I find a way to cut the wireless too? If it is a virus, it could be using their wireless connection right?

I don't believe they do much banking, if any really. And they DO have anti virus, I just updated it the other day and ran a scan, its the same one I use on some of my computers, Avira. To my knowledge they have all the built in Windows 7 stuff running as well. There were no obvious unfamiliar programs installed, just the basics and still some crap from Samsung.

This is just unfamiliar to me, and I'm afraid of making it worse right away. It sounds like something really is wrong with their computer, or they would have known the thing was a scam from the start. It can't be a coincidence that they have a virus of some sort and get the phone call, how big of a security issue is it at this point? Everything was fine on Sunday when I was there, I highly doubt they have done anything but send some personal emails and skype since then.

Obviously I won't be able to describe the problem exactly until I have their computer in front of me. Assuming I can get in to run some scans without much trouble, is there a risk of the computer infecting my usb and passing the virus on?

Sorry for coming here with so little knowledge, I've cleaned up viruses and such before but I've never tackled something like this. I hope he is exaggerating and misunderstanding whats going on, but I think he knows something is wrong.

Also, what scans should I perform if its possible? If its safe, I'll put them on a USB and post the logs here.

PS. It is a Samsung laptop with Windows 7

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online