1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Virus attacks anti-virus-help!

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by mtini, Apr 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mtini

mtini Thread Starter

Hi Folks,

IBM think centre P4, 3.4 , windows XP pro,

Looks like My AVG free security has been infected.
    I get bombarded with pop ups that say things like windows has detected that your PC has been infected by virus or such, and I should run virus scan and block the infection. Some of them try to go online and begin a scan, but I don't recognize any names of security software.
    It usually says windows anti virus.
    It could be a Microsoft thing overriding my AVG, but I never installed other security software, so I don't trust them.
    My guess is that it is a bug of some kind scanning my PC for information.

I took my Hard drive off and plugged it into my wife's PC, and then ran Semantic security scan on it, which removed a few cookies and something call bloodhound. But I still have the same problem. The pop ups just keep coming and its even hard to shut down again.

Besides trying to get by the pop ups and un-install AVG and reinstall it, I dont know what else to do.
    Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Ross

2. mtini

mtini Thread Starter

been working on this but not solved yet.
    Still need help.
    I was able to un-install AVG in diagnostic mode. Turns out it really was not infected, Its just that bug that says it was.

I was also able to run Ccleaner several times, which took off some things, but still have a bombardment of pop ups telling me that everything I try to do is infected and wont work.
    I cant do anything in regular start up, almost cannot shut down.

Next I will take the hard drive out and try to run Spybot from another PC, by plugging in my hard drive to the other PC.
    But after that I dont know what to try.

3. mtini

mtini Thread Starter

Looks like Spybot only found a few cookies. Im sure its still infected.

So I noticed 72 views and not one offer to help me.

Was it something I said dear?

If there is a problem with how I am presenting the problems or if I am doing something else to cause myself to be ignored,
    someone could have the integrity to tell me why?
    Yes I read your read me's.
    No I cannot run the log software.(or someone could tell me how, with pop ups all over?)
    Perhaps its the money - honey?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/918966

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice