1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Virus??: AVG won't scan single files with right click. Add/Remove Programs issues

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by JDKEEFEWRITER, May 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JDKEEFEWRITER

JDKEEFEWRITER Thread Starter

Winbook with Windows XP Pro, 3 partition HD: "restore" / "user" partition/ 8GB "partition info"; got some horrible virus- couldn't detect with multiple anti-virus prgrms, online scanners. Killed Windows Restore, then internet, then Winbook System Restore, coping files from one folder to another, writing to rewriteable CD; and program after program, when double-clicked to run, instead did not load and show splash screens, but Comodo began popping up error messages that some (not always same one) process or .exe wanted increased rights, control over other prgrms/ processes running in Task Manager, etc.

Finally tried to get as much datafiles off to USB flashdrives and CD, then reinstalled xp pro with options of wiping the two partitions: user and system restore; DID NOT WIPE 'PARTION INFO' partition.

Now funny stuff is happening: 1st: Add Remove Programs would not run until I put an icon on the desktop, selected and right clicked 'Run As', and unchecked the box for protection from rogue program activity. 2nd: Although it worked at first, now AVG will not run scans on individual folders or files when they are right-clicked and "Scan with AVG Freej" (8.0) is chosen from the pop-up list. Looking at processes in Task Manager, alphabatized, shows NO activity in any AVG process when the right-click individual file/folder scan is chosen.

Is this a lost association problem with the OS's right-click option and AVG's individual file 'Shell' scan option; and what about the sudden Add Remove Programs not working from the START->Control Panel->Add Remove Programs clicking?

Was running UnHackme rootkit tool till recently, also Panda rootkit checker, AVG anti-virus 8.0 free, PC Tools Spyware Doctor- no signs of anything, but I smell virus/trojan/rootkit reinfection happening again.:eek:

What are the best online scanning or 'Free to Try' programs to download to find an infection?

And, oh god no, do I have to lose everything, reinstall Windows XP and wipe all three partions durning the install? And what about the Master Boot Record? I don't think the Windows installs cleans and rewrites this. I could be wrong. Am I? And if it doesn't, what do I use to clean the MBR if I have to reinstall? :confused:

2. tacoman359

tacoman359

Post a HijackThis log and I'll tell you whether you're infected or not. This topic should be in the Malware Removal & HijackThis Logs forum just to let you know.

3. redoak

redoak Gone but never forgotten

Click "Report" and ask that yoyur Thread be transfered to the Security/HJT Forum. Be patient there; only a few folks are authorized to give advice re malware/HJT logs. They have a gold or blue "shield" after their name/moniker.

{redoak}

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/714831

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice