1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Virus Burst? nightmare

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by steevow, Jan 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steevow

steevow Thread Starter

Thank God I got on this site. I was prompted re: cookies and I was able to log on.

What a month!

I hope I don't confuse you due to the craziness of the time lines of how this all went down.

****I've had this problem for over 1 month. I have been on another site getting help since before Thanksgiving with alot of success, BUT whatever has inbedded itself is preventing me from logging back on to that site to report back with necessary scans (eset, combofix etc). At first it was ok, but not now*****

history:
    Now before Thanksgiving I was able to get ThinkPoint Banner and redirections removed and start fixing my computer. Everything seemed fixed until it started again in early Dec.. It's been an on again off again internet connection which has really hampered my communication with the T-Spot helper. It is now blocking me from logging in altogether to them. I tried another user name/password with an msn.com email (hotmail I'm assuming) and that blocked me from opening the reply to activate the account and then spy redirection followed.
    The Virus Burst (that's what the other helper has concluded) has been able to snub my fix even by using the tools dds, Hijack, TDSSKiller, ESET Online Scanner, ComboFix, GMER etc etc. The ESET scanner is now faulty again by saying the proxy is not configured. I fixed it once by the ComboFix. Not this time.
    It said 3 weeks ago that ComboFix couldn't be ran because Virus Ranger 3.6 is enabled, well, I decided to give it a go 2 days ago just for the heck of it and I was able to allow the scan to continue with the infection Virus Ranger enabled. I still can't post the scan to my helper because I can't get logged in.

These idiots who cause these infections have been able to flash a window on my desktop that say's, "This version of ComboFix is infected and you need to download this version", which is the infected version not from BleepingComputer.com.

I'm here because I was contemplating on buying another hard drive and start over. Another option was looking for info how to possibly erase my entire hard drive and start over and that's how I ended up here. Well, I decided to try my gmail email and my attempted registration here worked :) so I'm taking no chances of leaving this page since I finally fooled? the infection.

Now TLDS RootKit infection has been detected...you probably already figured that out.....
    A few days before Xmas I was using a neighbor's pc and found that my T-Spot helper told me to download RogueScanFix.exe and 2 other programs (smitRem and FixVB).....the two are downloaded properly, but the RogueScanFix.exe program reports the following when I try to run it: bfu.zip unable to retrieve specified file. End of central directory signature not found.
    unzip: cannot find bfu.zip.zip, period
    bfu.exe is not present
    I continued for the heck of it and sure enough when I was ready to run SmitRem I couldn't because the above files were not found in the smitRem window. :mad::mad::mad:

This PC had the XP Home, but I upgraded to Pro a few years ago and thus, I have the PRO Upgrade CD.

I've downloaded all my pictures to an external back up....hope that's not infected.....and I'd be willing to delete whatever I can to get rid of this virus and then reload XP Pro Upgrade if possible or get a new hard drive and start over. Trying to do this without purchasing a new hard drive or Windows XP CD....$ is tight right now and losing some business because of this infection makes $$ that much more precious. All business is word of mouth and email based so I have no files to save for that side business.

Any idea what I can do? Providing I can return to your helpful site.

currently loading bazooka and aiming toward Vaio
    thanks,
    steevow

2. steevow

steevow Thread Starter

I opened a new post that's a little more informative regarding this infection with all necessary scans. **titled; DDS, GMER, HJT scans entered. VirusBurst?"
    Didn't want to open a new thread, my opologies, but I felt it was necessary to get the scans posted in the title as ready to view. This post was more out of frustration and thinking I wouldn't be able to re-log in and hopefully I'd see a reply with info telling me how to re log back in.
    All seems good now, so I'll use the other post from now on.
    thanks.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/972861

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice