1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Virus Checker

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by andy909, Sep 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. andy909

andy909 Thread Starter

I have been a Norton user for the past two years, but I seem to get the impression that it is not picking up viruses. After running Panda ActiveScan, it picked up many viruses and removed them.

As I am interested in purchasing a virus scanner which works, I would like some advice. Would Panda be the best and most effective or does anyone think the free AVG would do a better job. I am looking for my computer to be 100% virus free 100% of the time even though i use the internet alot.

I am running windows XP service pack 2.

Many thanks, advice me please. :eek:

2. BigTex

BigTex

Try AVG, it's pretty good and it's FREE! (y)

3. BigTex

BigTex

4. andy909

andy909 Thread Starter

Thanks, I have heard good things about AVG, Norton seems 2 cause more problems dan its worth. Wot about a firewall, i really dont mind paying out aslong as its good as the windows firewall is known 2 be good but not keep 100% of hackers out.

5. Afinogenov

Afinogenov

zone alarm pro

6. GrumpyHermit

GrumpyHermit

Viruses change their mode of operation over a period of time. While a few years ago most viruses wanted to destroy your data, these days virus writers want to use your computer as a zombie to spread spam, intitiate DOS attacks, etc. Therefore a scanner than is more than a couple of years old may be searching in a less efficient manner than a more modern app, and not be as compatible with recent Windows updates.

The AV app you choose is less important than learning how viruses spread and attack your computer, and how to properly configure and use a firewall, AV, and spyware apps. AVG is a good free AV app, many people use it. You should also use a firewall, some spyware apps such as Spybot S&D, Ad-Aware, and SpyWareBlaster. Keep them all up to date, and keep Windows up to date as well, and you should have few problems. :)

7. andy909

andy909 Thread Starter

Thanks ill give dem a try.

8. andy909

andy909 Thread Starter

I need 2 down load a plugin for internet explorer 6 to view bbc virtual movie content. Dats the site http://www.parallelgraphics.com/products/cortona/download/iexplore but everytime I go install it comes up in the xp sp2 information bar the activeX control to install it has been disabled. I try and enable it but the download still doesn't install.
    Help, help please.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/269031

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice