Virus Checker

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

andy909

I have been a Norton user for the past two years, but I seem to get the impression that it is not picking up viruses. After running Panda ActiveScan, it picked up many viruses and removed them.

As I am interested in purchasing a virus scanner which works, I would like some advice. Would Panda be the best and most effective or does anyone think the free AVG would do a better job. I am looking for my computer to be 100% virus free 100% of the time even though i use the internet alot.

I am running windows XP service pack 2.

Many thanks, advice me please. :eek:

andy909

Thanks, I have heard good things about AVG, Norton seems 2 cause more problems dan its worth. Wot about a firewall, i really dont mind paying out aslong as its good as the windows firewall is known 2 be good but not keep 100% of hackers out.

Viruses change their mode of operation over a period of time. While a few years ago most viruses wanted to destroy your data, these days virus writers want to use your computer as a zombie to spread spam, intitiate DOS attacks, etc. Therefore a scanner than is more than a couple of years old may be searching in a less efficient manner than a more modern app, and not be as compatible with recent Windows updates.

The AV app you choose is less important than learning how viruses spread and attack your computer, and how to properly configure and use a firewall, AV, and spyware apps. AVG is a good free AV app, many people use it. You should also use a firewall, some spyware apps such as Spybot S&D, Ad-Aware, and SpyWareBlaster. Keep them all up to date, and keep Windows up to date as well, and you should have few problems. :)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online