1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Virus/Corrupt File?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Iakona724, Jul 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Iakona724

Iakona724 Thread Starter

Hey guys, a good friend of mine called me today and he was experiencing some problems with his internet (he has MCI Worldcom DSL). He is running Windows Xp Pro. and only uses Microsoft Outlook and Internet explorer on it. He uses a linksys wireless g router, but he also has a phone line going inito his computer(I'm not exactly sure why). He said when he turns on the computer outlook updates as normal (except, it was unreasonably slow, it said downloading 1/5 new messages and then 153/5kb and about every 10 seconds it would go up about 2 or 3 (153-156)). I thought it might be that he had a poor wireless connection, but it seems under network connections, the phone line is the online input into his computer (thats active). When he called Worldcom they said he was pingable and they could send someone out to him for a charge. I was debating what to do to help him prior to having someone go out to him (he lives 7 hours away from me). I'm not sure whether its a virus, malware, poor connection, etc.?

For those who are lazy like me heres a list of problems:
    • Slow DSL
    • Internet Explorer not loading
    • Internet Explorer not working in Safe mode with networking (This page cannot be displayed)
    • Not computer savy friend who lives far away

Should I have him run hijackthis and email me the log so I can post it to make sure there are no viruses or anything of any sort?

2. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

I would suggest having your friend post here it will be a lot easier to help him this way instead of going thru a middle person.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/486046

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice