1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Virus Disabled Downloads

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by olimess, Jul 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. olimess

olimess Thread Starter

Hi everyone,

First time poster here. Very interesting site and forum. Hopefully you all can help me out.

Yesterday, my g/f accidentally downloaded the "brave sentry" virus/anit-spyware product to her computer. It took control of everything. Desktop picture was changed, IE no longer worked properly, no access to crtl + alt + del, no access to remove programs etc.

I was able to remove most of the virus and was able to get windows XP back to a functional state through the use of SpyBot, Microsoft Anti-virus, and a couple of other programs.

The only problem that exists now is that when I launch IE 6, the menu items are grey out ... as in they appear to be invisible but actually the font is the same colour as the grey menu bar itself .... and I can't download anything from the internet to the computer. When I try, I select open file and the file appears to download but then an error prompt appears stating an "out of memory" message when it completes. If I press save and browse to the location that I would like it saved, nothing happens. The file never actually downloads.

Currently I have only two process that load on startup ... userinit.exe and explorer.exe. I believe that there could be an issue with the userinit.exe process but I'm not sure what.

Any ideas?

Thanks Oliver

2. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Hi and welcome to TSG.
    One thing to try..
    Click on Start>run>type..sfc /scannow [note space] press enter.
    You may need your Windows install Cd.
    Once system file checker has finished..reboot.
    Let us know the outcome.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/484878

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice