1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

virus disables almost all executables

Discussion in 'General Security' started by Midlight, Oct 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Midlight

Midlight Thread Starter

hi, i've got a computer with an unknown virus on it. it's similar to the spools virus, however, it has disabled almost all executables. it's also disabled start menu (windows hot key still works), task manager, control panel and a few others. i can access control panel by typing control in the run box (run on start menu is gone, using windows key + R). it does this in normal mode as well as safe mode. i usually start my removal process with combofix then SDfix and go on from there but this virus has prevented any and all virus removal programs from running (except for AVG 7.whatever). any ideas on how to get one of these programs to run, preferably combofix?

2. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

3. Midlight

Midlight Thread Starter

it's an xp system

4. Midlight

Midlight Thread Starter

i'm running a chkdsk on it right now from the xp cd, i know that's not gonna solve it, but it's doing something. after it's done i'm gonna take out the hard drive and scan it from another pc with malwarebytes

5. Rich-M

Rich-M

I would take the hard drive out and scan it with Malwarebytes, Superantispyware and a good antivirus program on another computer. That should give you enough removal to oput it back in and install those programs and scan in your system.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/757975

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice