1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Virus everyday

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by dtugg, Jan 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dtugg

dtugg Thread Starter

Hello all,

I get a virus every single day into my POP account. Some days it's even worse. This afternoon I had 4 new e-mails and 3 of them was a virus.

I've ran Spybot several times, and I have the newest AV. I have also ran housecall on more than one occasion.

Anyway, does anyone have any ideas why this is hitting me so hard? I used to never see a virus but here lately it's every single day.

Thanks in advance.....

dtugg

2. $teve

$teve

could be from an infected comp of a friend........do they all come from the same source?.
    as long as you dont open any of them you should be ok.
    how long has this been happening?
    does housecall give you the green light?
    this is twenty questions:D
    this is through outlook i take it?

3. dtugg

dtugg Thread Starter

Not outlook, but another POP client.

It is a different address each day.... I thought that someone that I knew had KLEZ at first, but it's from everywhere.

Housecall is a green light so everything seems okay there. It did satrt one day when I was doing a search on hacking... I guess I ticked someone off.....

dtugg

4. TOGG

TOGG

dtugg,

I'm no expert but I thought that one of the problems about Klez and other similar nasties was that they spoofed legitimate e-mail addresses so the details of the sender that you see are not necessarily the real senders.

I assume that your AV is catching these infected e-mails. Does it name the virus or just report that its infected?. If you haven't already tried it look into Mailwasher. It is supposed to 'bounce' spam and infected e-mails off your ISP's server, giving the sender the impression that your address is inactive. I haven't used it but it seems to be very highly rated. Look here;

http://www.mailwasher.net/

Finally, if you don't use your e-mail for business, you could change your address and have the current one blocked. The only problem with this I suppose is that if one or more of your friends is infected, and you send them your new address, it could start all over again!.

5. brendandonhu

brendandonhu

Sounds like Klez to me, but it could be another virus.
    It gives fake email addresses as the sender, that it finds on the infected computer.

6. dtugg

dtugg Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies,

I really don't think it's a virus though. I have went to housecall several times now and everything is green.

Also, If it was KLEZ, I should be seeing a lot of returned mail.. (I have had none)

Today I had 3 new ones in my box....... I guess I need to give up on this e-mail address. :(

dtugg

7. brendandonhu

brendandonhu

Read all of the above posts by other people. Almost every one says you are getting them from someone else who has been infected.

8. Corrosive

Corrosive

It's less likely than the rest of the ideas, but it could be caused by signing up to a lot of online services. I have recieved quite a few viruses after signing up for artist pages (like MP3.com and stuff). I think some people have written programs that search through webpages for the @ symbol, so if you've posted a lot...

As I say, not likely, but it is possible :(

Edit: If you're a webmaster, you may also be a "Target" too...

9. brendandonhu

brendandonhu

Spammers use email harvesters to collect email addresses from web pages.

The virus writers dont send viruses to other people, they send to a few or post it online and the virus spreads by sending from infected computers with forged emails.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/112320

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice