Virus help: StartPage-DU.dll Trojan

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

marjatta

Hey guys.

You've been SO helpful in the past, I hope one of you guys can assist me now. :)

My son and I both have computers, both operating Win XP, Sympatico DSL, etc... McAfee Anti-Virus, Ad_aware, etc. We use Internet Explorer as our main web crawler.

Here's the problem on my son's computer right now:

Each time his computer is booted up the following message from McAfee appears: "A Trojan has been detected and cleaned! The file C:\Windows\gcbfm.dll has been deleted to complete the clean process."

I click the "continue what I was doing" icon on the McAfee pop-up window and then another pop-up says: "The file 'gcbfm.dll" was deleted to complete the Clean process."

Despite numerous times running the McAfee anti-virus scan and the Ad-aware scan...Internet Explorer no longer works. It's a big loop...I've run every scan but IE won't run. Is there a way to unistall and re-install it?

HELP!

Thanks,
Marjatta
:)

Hi marjatta,

Something you weren't warned about. The "system restore"
is likely turned on. Every time you kill that file, the next boot,
it will appear again.

Go to My Computer, right-click it. In the upper tab is "System
Resore", open it and turn it off on all drives. Then re-boot.
McAfee should find and kill it again.

As to your browser, go to www.download.com and grab
"HijackThis!" in a search.

It's fairly intuitive, you can see little explanations at the bottom
after you highlight things. You want to remove BHO listings that
aren't connected with McAfee or other anti-spyware protections.

If you're really lost, post the results here, and someone will tell
you what to remove.

marjatta

Thanks, Bonz. I'm going to post this over in the Virus forum as well because I did disable the System Restore on my son's computer, reran McAfee anti-virus, the same problem exists. Unfortunately he doesn't have Hijack This on his computer...the only way I can get it to him I guess is to download it from my computer onto a disc.

He has no internet access whatsoever right now, other than MSN messenger. I have no way to access the internet via his computer.

I'll keep you guys posted.

Thanks,
Marjatta

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online