1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Virus help

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by haiden, Dec 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. haiden

haiden Thread Starter

Hi guys. Firstly I want to say that my specs I am not 100% about, thats why its not complete.

Here's my issue: I was hit with a virus called "XP Antispyware 2012". The first thing I noticed was I was unable to browse the web. Then it would tell me that any program I attempted to use, even in safe mode, was a threat. So I found the culprit, I believe. It was hidden as a file named "wxy.exe". I tried to delete it, obviously it has done its damage. So I saved a copy, and renamed it. Oddly enough, after running scans, none of my AV say its a virus. But after a Google search, it was confirmed as being such.

Here's what does not work on my system: Wired/Wireless Internet , Dvd Drive.

Also, after looking at my device manager, I get exclamations on the following: DVD Drive (HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH15F) - If that helps at all. Under "other devices"- Audio , SM Bus Controller , lastly, "Unknown Device" is listed as well.

As previously stated, I ran several, full system scans. I am hoping there's a way to get some files, or something, that can be thrown on a usb? Can't really afford to purchase a new hdd and/or dvd drive. If I missed anything , please let me know and I will happily get it for you. I do have access to my PC, I am using my laptop right now. The PC has served me well for nearly 8 months. It was my first build, so I really do not want to have to put it in storage. I was in the process of designing my first website, and all the info I needed is on it. Thanks a bunch.

Edit* All I have for a USB is a 2 gb Kingston. Kinda broke atm. :/

2. haiden

haiden Thread Starter

Forgot to add something: Now I am no pro here, but after looking around I noticed the DHCP Client is on automatic, and when I click "start", I get "Could not start the DHCP Client service on the local computer.
    Error 1075: The dependency service does not exist or has been marked for deletion". Is this of any significance? I am guessing my registry got trashed by the virus.

3. haiden

haiden Thread Starter

I am hoping nobody tells me to upgrade my version of Windows, as I have seen suggested to others, which totally looks over the issue(s) at-hand. I am sure nobody will say this, because I would if it were possible.

4. haiden

haiden Thread Starter

Just a quick update:

After going into properties of my dvd drive, I noticed the driver is in fact installed, but I get this following message in device status:

"Windows successfully loaded the device driver for this hardware but cannot find the hardware device. (Code 41)". This happened following the XP Antispyware 2012 infection.Also, my COM 1 port DID show an exclamation point, but now its gone.... perhaps a driver rollback... and now theres no exclamation point. Is there anyway I could somehow get into a copy of Windows XP and just snag some files from it and replace anything that may have been damaged, or is that not possible? I'm racking my brain here with this, its been 2 days. Im just too stubborn to give up.

5. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

I'm assuming you don't have a XP CD, right?

If you can get a hold of a friend's copy, you can use it to try a Repair Install. However, it often ain't enough and the best course of action is to reformat and reinstall from scratch.

How to Perform a Repair Install

You would still need your original product key in order to use a friend's XP CD. If you can't find it anywhere, download and run the free Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder and it will find it for you. Otherwise, you won't find it. It's located in the registry and encrypted.

6. haiden

haiden Thread Starter

I do, however, as previously mentioned... I do not have access to my disc drive. Apparently the virus rendered it useless. :( Thanks for the reply!

7. Phantom010

8. haiden

haiden Thread Starter

Thank you again, Phantom. I thought of this but I only have a 2 gb usb, I do not see the specs for the size you'd need. Would it be possible to install using just 2gbs? Thanks for the patience.

9. Phantom010

Yes, 256 MB is the minimum required.

10. haiden

haiden Thread Starter

!!!! If this works, I am going to... well, uh, thank you I guess. :) I will try it out. I did actually find this method, but was not too sure because the size usb I have.

Thank you so much. I'll do my best to help another if theres an issue I am familiar with.

11. Phantom010

You're welcome!

Keep us posted. :)

Good luck! (y)

12. haiden

haiden Thread Starter

Oh wait... I cannot do this. Right now I am on a linux-based system (Backtrack 5). I do have the disc for the install, but I cannot start the program. I did manage to copy files from usb to Windows (the troubled pc), and then unzipped back onto usb... but I cannot seem to run it in Backtrack 5.

How depressing.

Oh WAIT... I forgot, I actually copied all the files from my Win7 disc on to my pc. Hm, perhaps I can create an ISO from these files, mount the iso and then install that way, as an upgrade? Or do I need to boot to upgrade???

13. haiden

haiden Thread Starter

OK, I am running the aforementioned program... it is in the process of transfer, at the format stage. *crosses toes*

Hey , if I am installing the same OS on the usb, and I use it for my pc, will I lose all data, or can I use it to do a possible repair?? Or is it wise to get a new OS and install that on the usb? So many questions... I love this stuff. XD

Also, these steps you suggested , I have found already. But thanks to you for confirming it! I will let you know when/if it is all set. (Its actually copying files as I type this, so all is well thus far).

14. haiden

haiden Thread Starter

I hope nobody is annoyed that I keep updating this, but it's relevent to my issue... so...

All these problems I am having, net/dvd drive/etc... do you think these will be sorted if I do the upgrade option with the install? As in replace what is corrupted, settings and whatnot? Hope that makes sense...

15. Phantom010

It's hard to tell. The only thing sure is a complete reinstall.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1032049

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice