Virus/Malware Attacking my Antivirus Software

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

imabookfreak

Hello, Tech Support Guy Forums, and thanks for reading this.

OK, I'm using Windows XP and I have a problem. I'll do my best to explain everything that might be relevant.

Firstly, AVG detected two infections but could not heal them:
C:\Windows\explorer.exe
C:\Program Files\iexplore.exe

I tried ending the iexplore.exe process in Task Manager (it was running despite the fact that I wasn't/don't use Internet Explorer) and deleting the offending executable. But something respawns it back where it was seconds later. So I don't know what to do about that one.

Two more factors:

An error message pops up every so often (perhaps every 15-20 minutes) saying "Google Installer has to close" for no apparent reason.

All of my Antivirus software is under attack. Specifics:

AVG will run but will not initiate scans.

Hijackthis, prevx, and Advanced Systemcare 3 have all been disabled by the virus. When I try to run any of these three, a message pops up saying "Windows cannot acccess the file or directory. You may not have appropriate permissions to access the file."

This is why I cannot offer any sort of log.

That is about all I can tell of the matter. If any member here is willing to help me with my problem, then Thank You for your willingness to assist me and I very much appreciate it.

Andrew (imabookfreak)

P.S. Just wanted to add I am not new to this type of service - several years ago I had help from a member at the HijackThis forum regarding viruses, although it was a different computer than this one. I am familiar with 'safe mode' and running scans and whatnot. As I type this, I am using Safe Mode with Networking, although it doesn't allow me to run any antiviruses still.

imabookfreak

Small update: I ran with safe mode and deleted the Internet Explorer folder. When rebooted to normal OS, the folder was replaced, but it was in lower case, "internet explorer" so that proves some third entity is putting that there, probably not for good reason.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online