1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Virus on my lap top is BLOCKING me from EVERYTHING

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by sccr352, Jan 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sccr352

sccr352 Thread Starter

Please HELP!

I got a virus on my lap top the other day, which proceeded to open 10-20 blank windows repeatedly. I was able to get into task manager and noticed I had 30+ AOLSoftware.exe and AOLSoftware .exe running. The virus is blocking 2 tabs on my Task Manager, my Network Connections and will not allow me to download any free or purchased virus software!

I was able to get into regedit and I found all the AOLSoftware.exe and removed them, which was great in that I didn't have anymore pages repeatedly opening, but it didn't solve my problem entirely.

Help me figure out how to get am antivirus program downloaded!

Thank you for any help or suggestions!

2. RedCar92

RedCar92 Malware Trainee

Hello sccr352 and welcome to TSG.
    I'm RedCar92 and my name is Bill, I'll be glad to help you with your computer problems.

• Please observe these rules while we work:

• Read the entire procedure
    • It is important to perform ALL actions in sequence.
    • If you don't know, stop and ask! Don't keep going on.
    • Please reply to this thread. Do not start a new topic.
    • Stick with me till you're given the all clear. Malware removal can be stressful but we will clean it.
    • Remember, absence of symptoms does not mean the infection is all gone.
    • Don't attempt to clean your computer with any tools other than the ones I ask you to use during the cleanup process.

Please be advised, as I am still in training, all my replies to you will be checked for accuracy by one of our experts to ensure that I am giving you the best possible advise, this will be a team effort.
    This may cause a delay, but I will do my best to keep it as short as possible.

Please bear with me, I will post back to you as soon as I can.

IMPORTANT NOTE : Please do not delete anything unless instructed to.
    DO NOT use any TOOLS such as Combofix or HijackThis fixes without supervision.

Doing so could make your pc inoperative and could require a full reinstall of your OS, losing all your programs and data.

Vista and Windows 7 users:

These tools MUST be run from the executable. (.exe) every time you run them
    with Admin Rights (Right click, choose "Run as Administrator")

Stay with this topic until I give you the all clean post.

3. RedCar92

RedCar92 Malware Trainee

Hello sccr352,
    Is it possible for you to do this first....
    Please download DDS from LINK 1 or LINK 2
    and save it to your desktop.

Vista and Windows 7 users:

1. These tools MUST be run from the executable. (.exe) every time you run them
    2. With Admin Rights (Right click, choose "Run as Administrator")

XP users
    Double click dds.scr to run the tool.
    When done, two DDS.txt's will open.
    Save both reports to your desktop.
    Please include the contents of the following in your reply using Copy / Paste:
    DDS.txt & Attach.txt

Let me know if you have a problem, there are other ways to accomplish this task.

Thanks
    Bill

4. sccr352

sccr352 Thread Starter

I tried link 1 and then I tried link 2, but the Mozilla Download Window says the file has been canceled before it even begins to download. I click the retry (circle arrow icon) and it looks as though it is downloading (really really quickly) and then once it is done a couple seconds later I right click on the file, and I can't open it. It is not even in the Downloads folder in My Documents where the file is supposed to download to once it is complete.....

This is getting so frustrating!

5. RedCar92

RedCar92 Malware Trainee

Hello sccr352,
    Lets try this first:
    To start the computer in “Safe Mode with Networking”, follow these steps:
    To get into the Windows Safe Mode With Networking, as the computer is booting continuously tap the F8 Key which should bring up the Windows Advanced Options Menu.
    Use the arrow keys to move to Safe Mode With Networking and press your Enter key.
    After booting Safe Mode try to download DDS as described before.
    Once you're done in Safe Mode With Networking and you want to get back into Normal Windows simply restart the computer like you normally would and let it boot normally.
    After normal boot try running DDS. If you have Vista/Windows7, right click and select run as administrator.

I that doesn't work, can you download DDS to a flash drive on an uninfected pc? Then move flash drive to your pc, copy DDS to desktop and run?

Thanks
    Bill

6. RedCar92

RedCar92 Malware Trainee

Hello sccr352, How did things work? Are you still with me.
    Bill

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/976770

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice