Virus Problem: Hacktool.Rootkit

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Richter915

So my PC got infected with this virus by a link sent over AIM. I did the scan and everything and I looked it up on NAV's site and it says that the only bet is to delete infected files. Whenever I start up my PC I immediately get a screen saying "NAV has detected an infected file" and it tells me that the file "msdirectx.sys" is infected by hacktool.rootkit in folder C:/. I click delete file and then the same screen appears saying "xz.bat" is infected by Trojan Horse in folder C:. Then I click delete file and try and boot up but then a screen saying "Kernel32 has performed an illegal operation" appears and if I don't immediately click close...my PC freezes and I have to manually shut down. Is there anything I can do aside from reinstalling windows? My PC is a Windows 98 First Edition with 128MB RAM and pentium II processor. Thanks for any help.

Cheeseball81

Retired Moderator
Click here to download HJTsetup.exe: http://www.thespykiller.co.uk/files/HJTSetup.exe
Save HJTsetup.exe to your desktop.

Double click on the HJTsetup.exe icon on your desktop.
By default it will install to C:\Program Files\Hijack This.
Continue to click Next in the setup dialogue boxes until you get to the Select Addition Tasks dialogue.
Put a check by Create a desktop icon then click Next again.
Continue to follow the rest of the prompts from there.
At the final dialogue box click Finish and it will launch Hijack This.
Click on the Do a system scan and save a log file button. It will scan and then ask you to save the log.
Click Save to save the log file and then the log will open in notepad.
Click on "Edit > Select All" then click on "Edit > Copy" to copy the entire contents of the log.
Come back here to this thread and Paste the log in your next reply.
DO NOT have Hijack This fix anything yet. Most of what it finds will be harmless or even required.

Richter915

alright where here is the HJT log:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 2:24:13 PM, on 1/11/06
Platform: Windows 98 Gold (Win9x 4.10.1998)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSTASK.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\SYMANTEC SHARED\CCEVTMGR.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\SYMANTEC SHARED\CCSETMGR.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmtask.tsk
C:\PROGRAM FILES\NORTON ANTIVIRUS\IWP\NPFMNTOR.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KB891711\KB891711.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\LO31.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\TASKMON.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSTRAY.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\VERIZON ONLINE\WINPOET\WINPPPOVERETHERNET.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\SYMANTEC SHARED\CCPD-LC\SYMLCSVC.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\SYMANTEC SHARED\CCAPP.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\BURNQUICK\BQTRAY.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\FINEPIXVIEWER\QUICKDCF.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RNAAPP.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\TAPISRV.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\DDHELP.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\HIJACKTHIS\HIJACKTHIS.EXE

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://us.rd.yahoo.com/customize/ycomp_adbe/defaults/sb/*http://www.yahoo.com/search/ie.html
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://us.rd.yahoo.com/customize/ycomp_adbe/defaults/sp/*http://www.yahoo.com
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchURL,(Default) = http://us.rd.yahoo.com/customize/ycomp/defaults/su/*http://www.yahoo.com
O2 - BHO: Yahoo! Companion BHO - {02478D38-C3F9-4efb-9B51-7695ECA05670} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\YAHOO!\COMPANION\INSTALLS\CPN1\YCOMP5_5_7_0.DLL
O2 - BHO: CNavExtBho Class - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHELPER.DLL
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\ADOBE\ACROBAT 5.0\READER\ACTIVEX\ACROIEHELPER.OCX
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Yahoo! Companion - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\YAHOO!\COMPANION\INSTALLS\CPN1\YCOMP5_5_7_0.DLL
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSDXM.OCX
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ScanRegistry] C:\WINDOWS\scanregw.exe /autorun
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TaskMonitor] C:\WINDOWS\taskmon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [a-winpoet-service] "C:\Program Files\Verizon Online\WinPoET\winpppoverethernet.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Symantec Core LC] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe start
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CriticalUpdate] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\wucrtupd.exe -startup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Symantec NetDriver Monitor] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMNET~1\SNDMON.EXE /Consumer
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [REGSHAVE] C:\Program Files\REGSHAVE\REGSHAVE.EXE /AUTORUN
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [strtas] LO31.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [BurnQuick Queue] C:\Program Files\BurnQuick\BQTray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [SchedulingAgent] mstask.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [ccEvtMgr] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [ccSetMgr] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [NPFMonitor] C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\IWP\NPFMntor.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [ScriptBlocking] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Script Blocking\SBServ.exe" -reg
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [KB891711] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KB891711\KB891711.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [strtas] LO31.EXE
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [strtas] LO31.EXE
O4 - Startup: Exif Launcher.lnk = C:\Program Files\FinePixViewer\QuickDCF.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Verizon Online Dialer.lnk = C:\Program Files\Verizon Online\WinPoET\Verizon Online.exe
O9 - Extra button: AIM - {AC9E2541-2814-11d5-BC6D-00B0D0A1DE45} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\AIM\AIM.EXE
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\PROGRA~1\INTERN~1\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O16 - DPF: {30528230-99F7-4BB4-88D8-FA1D4F56A2AB} (YInstStarter Class) - http://us.dl1.yimg.com/download.yahoo.com/dl/installs/yinst20040510.cab

the only thing that looks fishy from there to me is:
you should take note that when I booted up the PC again I received those virus scan errors and I also had the Illegal Operation screen popup for the program "Lo31"...it came up 3 times and I closed each one. The computer proceeded as normal after that. Usually I have to ctrl + alt + del and then get rid of those "Lo31" programs so I'm thinking it has something to do with this all because it never happened prior to this incident.

oh and btw, this all began after the PC user accidentally clicked on one of those AIM messages that says "hey click here to see pics of me and my new dog"...you get it from a friend's PC which has also been infected I think. Then the link automatically downloads the virus and all.

Cheeseball81

Retired Moderator
Download KillBox here: http://www.downloads.subratam.org/KillBox.exe
Save it to your desktop.
DO NOT run it yet. We will use it later.

Download and run Ad-Aware SE: http://www.majorgeeks.com/download506.html

Install the program and launch it.
First, in the bottom right-hand corner of the main window click on Check for updates now then click Connect and download the latest reference files.
Then, in the main window: Click Start and under Select a scan Mode tick Perform full system scan.
Then, deselect Search for negligible risk entries.
To start the scan, click the Next button.
When the scan is finished mark everything for removal and get rid of it. (Right-click the window and choose select all from the drop down menu and then click Next).

Reboot.

Run ActiveScan online virus scan:
http://www.pandasoftware.com/products/activescan.htm

When the scan is finished, anything that it cannot clean have it delete it.
Make a note of the file location of anything that cannot be deleted so you can delete it yourself.
Save the results from the scan.

Post a new Hijack This log and the results of the ActiveScan.

Richter915

This is my Activescan:

Incident Status Location

Spyware:Cookie/Ask Not disinfected C:\WINDOWS\Cookies\\[email protected][1].txt
Spyware:Cookie/Belnk Not disinfected C:\WINDOWS\Cookies\\[email protected][1].txt
Spyware:Cookie/Belnk Not disinfected C:\WINDOWS\Cookies\\[email protected][2].txt
Spyware:Cookie/Com.com Not disinfected C:\WINDOWS\Cookies\\[email protected][2].txt
Spyware:Cookie/Statcounter Not disinfected C:\WINDOWS\Cookies\\[email protected][1].txt
Spyware:Cookie/Azjmp Not disinfected C:\WINDOWS\Cookies\\[email protected][2].txt
Spyware:Cookie/go Not disinfected C:\WINDOWS\Cookies\\[email protected][2].txt
Spyware:Cookie/Yadro Not disinfected C:\WINDOWS\Cookies\\[email protected][1].txt
Spyware:Cookie/Banner Not disinfected C:\WINDOWS\Cookies\\[email protected][1].txt
Spyware:Cookie/Searchportal Not disinfected C:\WINDOWS\Cookies\\[email protected][1].txt
Spyware:Cookie/Belnk Not disinfected C:\WINDOWS\Cookies\\[email protected][1].txt
Spyware:Cookie/Hbmediapro Not disinfected C:\WINDOWS\Cookies\\[email protected][2].txt
Spyware:Cookie/YieldManager Not disinfected C:\WINDOWS\Cookies\\[email protected][1].txt
Spyware:Cookie/BurstBeacon Not disinfected C:\WINDOWS\Cookies\\[email protected][1].txt
Spyware:Cookie/BurstNet Not disinfected C:\WINDOWS\Cookies\\[email protected][2].txt
Virus:W32/Sdbot.FVY.worm Disinfected C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\lo31.exe
Hacktool:HackTool/MPView.C Not disinfected C:\WINDOWS\Desktop\copy\New Folder\unzipped\nortonantivirus2004allversionspatchmcf\Norton_Antivirus_2004_All_Versions_patch.zip.exe
Spyware:Cookie/Ask Not disinfected C:\WINDOWS\Cookies\[email protected][1].txt
Spyware:Cookie/Belnk Not disinfected C:\WINDOWS\Cookies\[email protected][1].txt
Spyware:Cookie/Belnk Not disinfected C:\WINDOWS\Cookies\[email protected][2].txt
Spyware:Cookie/Com.com Not disinfected C:\WINDOWS\Cookies\[email protected][2].txt
Spyware:Cookie/Statcounter Not disinfected C:\WINDOWS\Cookies\[email protected][1].txt
Spyware:Cookie/Azjmp Not disinfected C:\WINDOWS\Cookies\[email protected][2].txt
Spyware:Cookie/go Not disinfected C:\WINDOWS\Cookies\[email protected][2].txt
Spyware:Cookie/Yadro Not disinfected C:\WINDOWS\Cookies\[email protected][1].txt
Spyware:Cookie/Banner Not disinfected C:\WINDOWS\Cookies\[email protected][1].txt
Spyware:Cookie/Searchportal Not disinfected C:\WINDOWS\Cookies\[email protected][1].txt
Spyware:Cookie/Belnk Not disinfected C:\WINDOWS\Cookies\[email protected][1].txt
Spyware:Cookie/Hbmediapro Not disinfected C:\WINDOWS\Cookies\[email protected][2].txt
Spyware:Cookie/YieldManager Not disinfected C:\WINDOWS\Cookies\[email protected][1].txt
Spyware:Cookie/BurstBeacon Not disinfected C:\WINDOWS\Cookies\[email protected][1].txt
Spyware:Cookie/BurstNet Not disinfected C:\WINDOWS\Cookies\[email protected][2].txt
Hacktool:HackTool/MPView.C Not disinfected C:\New Folder\unzipped\nortonantivirus2004allversionspatchmcf\Norton_Antivirus_2004_All_Versions_patch.zip.exe

This is my Hijackthis.log:
Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 5:42:01 PM, on 1/11/06
Platform: Windows 98 Gold (Win9x 4.10.1998)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSTASK.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\SYMANTEC SHARED\CCEVTMGR.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\SYMANTEC SHARED\CCSETMGR.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmtask.tsk
C:\PROGRAM FILES\NORTON ANTIVIRUS\IWP\NPFMNTOR.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KB891711\KB891711.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\TASKMON.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSTRAY.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\VERIZON ONLINE\WINPOET\WINPPPOVERETHERNET.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\SYMANTEC SHARED\CCPD-LC\SYMLCSVC.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\SYMANTEC SHARED\CCAPP.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\BURNQUICK\BQTRAY.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\FINEPIXVIEWER\QUICKDCF.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RNAAPP.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\TAPISRV.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\SYMANTEC SHARED\SNDSRVC.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\INTERNET EXPLORER\IEXPLORE.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\HIJACKTHIS\HIJACKTHIS.EXE

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://us.rd.yahoo.com/customize/ycomp_adbe/defaults/sb/*http://www.yahoo.com/search/ie.html
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://us.rd.yahoo.com/customize/ycomp_adbe/defaults/sp/*http://www.yahoo.com
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchURL,(Default) = http://us.rd.yahoo.com/customize/ycomp/defaults/su/*http://www.yahoo.com
O2 - BHO: Yahoo! Companion BHO - {02478D38-C3F9-4efb-9B51-7695ECA05670} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\YAHOO!\COMPANION\INSTALLS\CPN1\YCOMP5_5_7_0.DLL
O2 - BHO: CNavExtBho Class - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHELPER.DLL
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\ADOBE\ACROBAT 5.0\READER\ACTIVEX\ACROIEHELPER.OCX
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Yahoo! Companion - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\YAHOO!\COMPANION\INSTALLS\CPN1\YCOMP5_5_7_0.DLL
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSDXM.OCX
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ScanRegistry] C:\WINDOWS\scanregw.exe /autorun
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TaskMonitor] C:\WINDOWS\taskmon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [a-winpoet-service] "C:\Program Files\Verizon Online\WinPoET\winpppoverethernet.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Symantec Core LC] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe start
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CriticalUpdate] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\wucrtupd.exe -startup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Symantec NetDriver Monitor] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMNET~1\SNDMON.EXE /Consumer
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [REGSHAVE] C:\Program Files\REGSHAVE\REGSHAVE.EXE /AUTORUN
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [BurnQuick Queue] C:\Program Files\BurnQuick\BQTray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [SchedulingAgent] mstask.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [ccEvtMgr] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [ccSetMgr] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [NPFMonitor] C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\IWP\NPFMntor.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [ScriptBlocking] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Script Blocking\SBServ.exe" -reg
O4 - Startup: Exif Launcher.lnk = C:\Program Files\FinePixViewer\QuickDCF.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Verizon Online Dialer.lnk = C:\Program Files\Verizon Online\WinPoET\Verizon Online.exe
O9 - Extra button: AIM - {AC9E2541-2814-11d5-BC6D-00B0D0A1DE45} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\AIM\AIM.EXE
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\PROGRA~1\INTERN~1\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O16 - DPF: {30528230-99F7-4BB4-88D8-FA1D4F56A2AB} (YInstStarter Class) - http://us.dl1.yimg.com/download.yahoo.com/dl/installs/yinst20040510.cab
O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - http://acs.pandasoftware.com/activescan/as5free/asinst.cab

looks like it caught that lo31.exe which NAV couldn't, not sure why. My comp froze up for other reasons before and when I restarted it I had no problems. No NAV pop-ups, when I looked in the ctrl alt del there was no Lucomserver, no Kernel32, and most importantly, no lo31.exe...thanks for your help, I think this problem is cleared up for the moment.

Cheeseball81

Retired Moderator
Rescan with Hijack This.
Close all browser windows except Hijack This.
Put a check mark beside these entries and click "Fix Checked".

Boot into Safe Mode (start tapping the F8 key at Startup, before the Windows logo screen)

* Double-click on Killbox.exe to run it.

Put a tick by Standard File Kill.
In the "Full Path of File to Delete" box, copy and paste each of the following lines one at a time:

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\lo31.exe

Click on the button that has the red circle with the X in the middle after you enter each file.
It will ask for confirmation to delete the file.
Click Yes.
Continue with that procedure until you have pasted all of these in the "Paste Full Path of File to Delete" box.
Killbox may tell you that one or more files do not exist.
If that happens, just continue on with all the files. Be sure you don't miss any.
Next in Killbox go to Tools > Delete Temp Files
In the window that pops up, put a check by ALL the options there except these three:
Recent
History
Now click the Delete Selected Temp Files button.
Exit the Killbox.

Finally go to Control Panel > Internet Options.
On the General tab under "Temporary Internet Files" Click "Delete Files".
Put a check by "Delete Offline Content" and click OK.
Click on the Programs tab then click the "Reset Web Settings" button.
Click Apply then OK.

Empty the Recycle Bin.

Reboot, post a new log.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online