virus problems

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

brddog

I am running windows 98. I have detected numerous viruses on my computer. Included are trojan, backdoor.jz I have quarantined these. At startup I get messages that read Cannot find file Explorer32.exe cannot find file Explorer32.exe specified in win.ini file and cannot find file gkxtxn.ex
I don't know where to go from here.

Bryan

Bryan
Can you get into Windows with the PC? If so, we can take a look at your Startup process and see what is causing your errors. Go <a href=http://home.earthlink.net/~rmbox/Reticulated/Only_IE.html> here</a> and download Startlog.com

Once it's downloaded, double left click on it to execute it. You'll then see the log appear on the screen at the end. Click on Edit>SelectAll. Then click on Edit>Copy.

Now come back to this thread and click on "PostReply". Right click in the reply window and select Paste.

brddog

I can't get the program to download. I get a dialoge box that tells me the media player format is not supported

Bryan

Bryan
Try getting it from <a href=http://home.earthlink.net/~rmbox/Reticulated/Toys.html> here</a>. You'll need to unzip it and then run it once it's downloaded.

brddog

I am still unable to get the startup log. I get the same message as before.

brddog, go to start and run win.ini

Edit the load= and run= lines to read just:

load=
run=

(nothing after the =). Save the file and reboot.

Try to download any or all of the exefix08 files from the Only IE link. If you can get the exefix08.inf file, just right click and select "install" for that. For the others, just doubleclick to run.

If you can't download those, copy and save (as a Notepad file) the attached text file to your desktop. Rename it exefix.reg and double click it to merge.

Edit: for some reason that text file will not display correctly, so I have to advise against using it.

Attachments

brddog

I ran the exefix program. Everything seems to have been restored. How do I deal with the quarantined files.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online