1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Virus Protection on Win Vista

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by nards, Nov 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nards

nards Thread Starter

I just purchased a new laptop which has Windows Vista. I tried to install my old version of Norton and it is not compatible so I need a new version. Is there anywhere that I can download a new version for FREE. Not a trial version, but a permanent download. I was hoping to avoid another purchase. Thanks

2. uhaligani

uhaligani Guest

Only from a pirating site!
    But Norton, as I read, is a pain in Vista and quite resource hungry. Why not experiment with one of the free offerings. AvgFree is very low profile and, when I have checked it against other virus "hunters", seems to do the job. Avast is also quite good but needs a little more configuration.

3. NIGHT5ER

NIGHT5ER

I had the same problem, but I just went to the norton site, then downloaded the Vista one, used my old cd key, and everything works fine.

4. Rich-M

Rich-M

Much better off using a free antivirus like Avast that won't impact your system....www.avast.com

5. NIGHT5ER

NIGHT5ER

ya, i wish norton wasnt so resource hungry

6. bangstx

bangstx

try using avg antivirus it's free and it's good

7. bangstx

bangstx

it's works very good with vista

8. dliw

dliw

Second that with AVG Free.

9. NIGHT5ER

NIGHT5ER

my only prob was, i somehow got the trojan this one time and AVG wouldnt erase it, bought norton, fixed it.

10. Rich-M

Rich-M

You know antivirus really has never been the program for Trojans whereas most decent antispyware programs remove way more than an antivirus ever finds. I would run www.superantispyware.com and see if there is more.

11. BlooChoo

BlooChoo

well thats a trial version of a better product..i think the best thing for spyware removal for free is spyware terminator

http://www.spywareterminator.com/

it just as well as any you can buy...for free:)

12. Rich-M

Rich-M

Superantispyware has a free version also that you manually update and scan with. It just makes no sense to me to let things in freely and "rip" them out later.

13. BlooChoo

BlooChoo

aye...spyware terminator is freeware..ie. the full product with nothing stripped off it...its a complete program...superantispyware will tell u that u have a number of spyware in your computer itl clean up a few of them and then ask u to buy the full product to get rid of the rest

14. nards

nards Thread Starter

Thans very much for your advice. I downloaded AVG and it works fine. CNET gives it a great review ! Thanks again.

15. ICONIC

ICONIC

ya norton pretty much sucks, if you want something free go for AVG

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/651217

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice