1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Virus risk

Discussion in 'General Security' started by abstracts, Sep 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. abstracts

abstracts Thread Starter

I'd like to transfer a number of images onto my PC from a memory stick, but I'm not entirely sure if the images were transferred from a virus free PC. Is there any way of checking if a virus is present before introducing the stick to my PC?

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

If you are using Windows 10, you can go to Settings > Devices > AutoPlay and turn that off. This will ensure nothing on the USB memory stick gets run when you insert it.

Then you can use Windows Defender to scan the stick. Simply right click on the drive letter of the USB memory stick and choose Scan with Windows Defender.

3. abstracts

abstracts Thread Starter

I am on Windows 10, but the images on the memory stick were put on 4-5 years ago and weren't on Windows 10. Still OK.

4. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    The version of the OS is not a factor in the case.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1232451

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice