Virus scan freezing

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

lorry86

I was running Ad-adware SE Personal and it freezes on the file C:\1386\DAJAVA.CAB I was wondering wether that file can be deleted or is it important. I also ran Ewido but didnt have a problem.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
What version of Windows and what version of Internet Explorer are you using?

I did a search in one of my XP SP2 computers for the DAJAVA.CAB file and nothing came up.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You may want to re-boot in safe mode and then run Ad-aware and see if you still have the same problem.

lorry86

I'm using Windows XP, Internet Explorer 6.0 Yeah its weird cause the scan with Ewido did not freeze at all and it is updated so I dont know if it was just the Ad-Adware that was having problems.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
If you're still using the original version of Windows XP, you really need to make the upgrade to Windows XP SP2, which will also upgrade Internet Explorer to 6.0 SP2.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

lorry86

I have SP2. Not sure if its different cause my college made me download it before allowing me access to the internet. So I downloaded the one offered by them. Besides Ewido and Ad-Adware what else could you recommend? Just to verify if it also happens with those programs.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
I don't use Ewido. I use Ad-Aware SE Personal 1.06 and Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.4. They work well with each other, and one will find what the other one won't, and vice versa.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

lorry86

The file is supposedly a security catalog, don't know what that means. When i went to delete it a message pops up warning me that its a system file and i shouldn't delete it, yet ad-adware still freezes on that file.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
When AD-AWARE does a scan, it'll appear to freeze from time to time on a certain file. Just be patient and leave it alone. If it doesn't continue on after a few minutes, then you can assume that it's frozen.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

lorry86

How can I change the settings so the computer won't shut down if its not being used. I left the scan running but after some minutes my laptop goes into some power-saving mode which impedes the scan from continuing.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
You'd be better off with NOT using the power saving features and keeping them disabled.

Open the Power Options icon in the Control Panel. Click the Power Schemes tab. Change "Power schemes" to Always On and change all the other settings to Never. Click Apply. Click the Advanced tab. Under "When I press the power button on my computer", select Shut down. Click Apply. Click the Hibernation tab. Remove the checkmark from Enable hibernation. Click Apply - OK. Reboot your computer.

Your computer should now stay on until you're ready to shut it down.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online