1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

virus scanner stops on same file each time on windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by agadida, Apr 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. agadida

agadida Thread Starter

My laptop was running a lil off and would act slow and sometimes freeze. Figured id run mcafee virus scanner and see if it came up with anything. It only goes to about 14% and stops on the same file. imccphr.exe. When I stop the scan almost always itll freeze the whole laptop and i'll have to reboot it. Ive tried using an online scanner where you upload the file and it freezes before I can upload it. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

3. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Never having been a big fan of McAfee Anti Virus products, I would try uninstalling McAfee an install something such as Avira Anti Virus for one that works well. Especially given the problems that McAfee has been having lately.

4. agadida

agadida Thread Starter

Ive tried running it in safe mode and does the same thing still. I kept mcafee just because the laptops still new and has a month left before I have to purchase it. I'll try uninstalling it and using avira now.

5. agadida

agadida Thread Starter

For some reason it wont uninstall mcafee. starts and says its uninstalling then freezes pretty much. doesnt show any progress. I downloaded avira and scanning with that now. hopefully that wont freeze either. if it does, any suggestions?

6. agadida

agadida Thread Starter

tried running avira and it started scanning then stopped on a different file. was running for over a half an hour stuck on the same file.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!