Virus Software

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Beany

Hi,

I have recently downloaded the free version of Norton Security Suite which is free to me as a Comcast customer. It seems to make my computer run so slow that I can hardly stand it, and as I use it for business, it results in a lot of wasted time. Before that I was paying for Norton Anti-virus 10 which also made my computer run slow, but not quite as slow. I am guessing these programs are the problem that I am having. Does anyone know of a good antivirus program that doesn't hog everything on the computer? Something free maybe?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

dotty999

Dotty
Avira and Avast seem to be popular though after trying both,I prefer Microsoft Security Essentials

dotty999

Dotty
if you check out different test sites you'll find a big difference in their results,some biased others not, it's best to test them out yourself as I did and found MSE worked best for me

DoubleHelix

Banned
Norton Internet Security is a full, complete suite of applications. Avira, MS Security Essentials, and Avast are only anti-virus applications.

Beany

Thanks so much everyone for your replies. I will look into some of these.

DoubleHelix

Banned
Yes, but it doesn't have a firewall. It's not at all the same level of protection as a security suite like Norton Internet Security.

dotty999

Dotty
I may be wrong but I think the original poster was asking for advice merely on anti virus programmes but in passing mentioned he'd originally had Norton suite :)

I soured on anything Norton years ago simply because their programs tend to be resource hogs. I've found building a suite of the various free programs available to have firewall, anti-virus and spyware protection much more efficient and use less resources than any security suite available, free or pay. My current configuration includes MSE for AV and spyware and Comodo firewall supported by Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware scanners.

Raybro

dotty999

Dotty
I agree with you, I too have the same progs as you apart from I'm now using Zone Alarm again, it works well for me, I tried Comodo but it caused conflict with some of my other programmes.

DoubleHelix

Banned
I soured on anything Norton years ago simply because their programs tend to be resource hogs. I've found building a suite of the various free programs available to have firewall, anti-virus and spyware protection much more efficient and use less resources than any security suite available, free or pay. My current configuration includes MSE for AV and spyware and Comodo firewall supported by Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware scanners.

Raybro
There's the rub. Norton has greatly improved their applications, and tech professionals and reviewers have been rating Norton Internet Security software as one of the best suites available since 2009. Companies change. Software changes.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online