1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Virus? Text fields fill with +++++++++++

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by TheShmoo, Aug 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TheShmoo

TheShmoo Thread Starter

Earlier I was playing an online game (Final Fantasy XI) when my screen began to behave strangely. I logged out, and then noticed that a TextPad window I had open began to fill with "+++++++++++++++++++++++" as though the plus key was stuck. I checked my keyboard (Logitech wireless LX710) and didn't see any obvious issues.

None the less, I shut-down the computer, swapped keyboards with my other PC and booted up again. The problem did not follow the keyboard, it remained on my first PC.
    I tried a corder USB keyboard, and it does the same thing. Initially I can sometimes login because the "+++++++++++++" begins - but it is hit and miss. I generally need to reboot 2-3 times before I can login.

I have removed the Logitech software and installed the latest edition.

I have run McAffee and Spyware Doctor, but nothing was found.

Does this sound like any Virus, Trojan or Worm anyone has run across?

2. TheShmoo

TheShmoo Thread Starter

Meh... it was mouse-related.

After much swapping of gear, several virus scans, and copying a ton of data from the "bad" PC to my other PC (just in case), I tracked the issue down to my Logitech MX700 mouse.

I had swapped-in a corder mouse earlier, but apparently I was too hasty in eliminating the mouse as the issue.

Now I am back up a running, with my cordless keyboard - no issues. Just using a vanilla Dell corded mouse for the time being, until I can determine if the MX700 is salvageable.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/608427

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice