1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

virus the best

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by toonfireman1, Apr 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. toonfireman1

toonfireman1 Thread Starter

I am new what is the best virus protection I can get and why?

2. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Hi, That's a loaded question! If we all chipped in a reply so you could "count votes" you'd have quite a day or two....
    Many of us use free antivirus programs, along with online scans now and then to cross-check any installed a/v app. Many of us use Norton a/v, McAfee is very common also as these two are commonly preinstalled on computers when you buy....the free period expires and then you must pay a small amount per year for the signature file updates...that allow you to keep current for detection and removal of any virus. I and many here use AVG free edition.... I also use EZTRUST free bundled firewall/antivirus that is good until around June 04....the deal with Microsoft is scheduled to expire then, and it will probably be a subscription program afterward. There are several other good free a/v programs, which I am sure you will hear about.... You should not have more than one running at any time, though you can install more and set them to NOT START when Windows does, turn other off or on to use the second.
    A quick Google search will give you many sources for them.
    Along with and a/v program, you of course must check for trojans, worms, etc and these days, ad-related junk. For adware, there are two main free programs that we rely on: Spybot and Ad-Aware.
    There are also spyware preventers...such as Spywareblaster and SpywareGuard- free. We are seeing the arrival of several very good anti-adjunk programs, and sadly some not so good ones....can be confusing stuff.
    Generally, the top of the line antivirus programs will all work very well for you, whether free or pay-for. You should use the online scanners, too, and scan for other things... there are specialized online trojan port security scans, etc.
    Even an instant messenging program these days can present security problems with links that display that are misleading and can hijack your browser or install trojans...
    Drive-by hijacking is common, too but preventable by having Internet security tuned right and some ActiveX auto installs blocked by Spywareblaster, SpywareGuard, and a little tool called IE_SPYAD that blocks things. NONE of these programs should interfere with any surfing...they do help with popups and getting infected.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/217789

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice