Solved Virus wipes out email on Windows 7 laptop

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Ru57y

All my emails appear to have disappeared after virus on laptop loaded with Windows 7. All other content has been recovered using hard drive in a caddy as external hard drive but can't find emails. I am sure they must still be there somewhere! Does anybody know how to recover them, even as simple text? Years of critical info at stake! Many thanks.

TerryNet

Terry
Does anybody know how to recover them, even as simple text?
Probably somebody does. But somebody is more likely to offer help if you tell us what email client you were using. And if you were using POP or IMAP (or both).

Ru57y

Thanks TerryNet. Using POP with email linked to website hosted by dreamhost.com who tell me the emails were being stored locally on my old laptop, which is no longer working by the way...

etaf

Wayne
As Terrynet asked - this would be useful
if you tell us what email client you were using
All the emails will be on the PC as you are using POP and used a setting to delete the emails from the server
hosted by dreamhost.com who tell me the emails were being stored locally on my old laptop
Once we know the client, we can tell you where the emails would have been stored

Ru57y

As Terrynet asked - this would be useful

All the emails will be on the PC as you are using POP and used a setting to delete the emails from the server

Once we know the client, we can tell you where the emails would have been stored

Hi Wayne, thanks for showing an interest - lot's at stake here!

The email is associated with a website hosted by dreamhost.com and was configured in Outlook.

Dreamhost assures me the emails should all be on the hard drive and definitely not backed up by them.

So far two tech guys have been unable to trace them.

They both confirm the presence of a virus but haven't given me too much other information.

etaf

Wayne
what version of outlook where you using
you are looking for a .PST file
probably
outlook.pst
they are Hidden files -

what windows version are you using to access the harddrive that now in a caddy ?
you want to choose to show hidden files also show file extensions

now goto

c:\Users \ {the username you used} \ appdata \ local \ microsoft \ outlook
the files MAY be there

Also later version of outlook added the files under documents
so you may need to look there
OR

click on your username and then Search for
*.pst
and see what files you find

Ru57y

Hi Wayne, this is great. The Windows version being used to access the harddrive in the caddy is Windows 10. The old laptop was Windows 7.

It's all with a local tech guy at the moment so I'll pass all this on immediately and report back.

This is not my area of expertise so panicked when it all went south and reached for the nearest 'experts'!

I should have waited until I found this forum...

etaf

Wayne
a local tech guy should know what to look for
I have often pulled across PST files from old harddrives and then used with outlook on a new PC
Or imported into clients like thunderbird as a data file , which only gives emails., not calendar and contacts
But by using with outlook , you can export the contacts if needed

hopefully it will be all resolved now

Ru57y

Thanks Wayne. I'll get back to you, hopefully with good news!

Ru57y

Thanks to Terry for getting me to ask the right questions, and many thanks to Wayne for providing the correct answers! All data and emails recovered and transferred to new laptop. Problem solved.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online