1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Virus

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by fsuf18, Sep 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. fsuf18

fsuf18 Thread Starter

1. IPC , 550 PIII , 10GB HD, Win 98se , IE6/OE6, 128 Ram,nVIDIO GeForce 2MX/MX400 3D Acel, 3COM 56K Modem, SMC E2 Card 1211TX 10/100 Fast Ethernet Adapter (PCI), Linksys 5 Port Hub, Terra Pro Cable modem, 640U ACER Scanner, Canon BJC1000 Printer,Zone Alarm, Adaware ,EasyClean, AVG antivirus .
    2. Can anyone give me (or direct me) to an explanation of Virii,Trojan Horses,worms,etc . I thought A "Virus" referred to any type of "Infection" which included Trojan Horses, Worms etc. I would also like to know the difference between a Virus Checker like AVG and a firewall like Zone Alarm ,Adaware etc . I have looked through the internet and found a good deal of verbiage but I am still not at all clear on the proper categorization .

2. Arky

Arky

Do a Google or Yahoo search on the program, file, acronym, technical term, etc. that you need information about. It's all out there!

3. Maritimesea

Maritimesea

Although someone in the "Security" forum would probably be more knowledgeable about this topic, a basic description might be that virus's are small programs that when executed can do anything from the benign to the downright nasty like erasing your hard drive. Descriptive names like worms,trojan horses,etc., probably come from how the virus behaves when it affects your machine. A trojan in my mind evokes an image of something presented as a gift with a bomb hidden inside.I am a true cynic and wonder at how increasingly fortunate companies like norton,macafee,etc., have become as a result of the virus filled virtual world that seems to be the norm.The increasing and steady stream of malicious code being propogated online is a multi million dollar industry(for the antivirus companies).I use avg antivirus, it works and it's free. Zone Alarm,which I also use is a firewall and although it won't detect a virus per se it will detect any program attempting to access the internet that hasn't been given prior approval. That, of course comes in handy when a virus is attempting to propogate itself using your machine as a server of doom :p . It also protects your computer from port scanning by "hiding" the open ports on your machine.This aspect of the firewall seems to me more advantageous to a "always on" internet connection like cable than dial up but just be sure to turn off the "notify me" about the incoming pings or you will be a paranoid mental case inside of a week. Last is the spy/adware removers which are in my opinion by far the most valuable in terms of keeping the increasingly large amount of programs that although aren't specifically virus's,certainly can cause almost as much damage. What makes it even worse is someone can be arrested for making and distributing a virus but a program that is distributed by a marketing company that will cause conflicts and os crashes at worst and send back your surfing information to its' head office at best is perfectly legal.
    Again the firewall will also detect some of those nefarious baddys when they ask politely to be allowed to send a report back.It is quite interesting to note how much people are actively rebelling against these forms of advertising(download.com shows 30,000,000 copies of spybot S&D downloaded!) whilst "ordinary" forms of advertising like television commercials,billboards,print ads,etc., do not seem to be as unacceptable to the mainstream. Perhaps it's simply that these programs "announce" themselves by being so buggy. Well I guess I've pretty much shown how little I have to do in the course of the day so I guess I'll just stop. :)

4. fsuf18

fsuf18 Thread Starter

Thanks Arky I had no luck doing that - I guess I was asking the wrong questions !
    Thanks Maritimesea - your explanation inforced my understanding - I got started on this by someone I feel is vey knowledgable wrote (out of context) "....check to see if you have a Virus or Trojan Horse ."

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/276889

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice