Virus?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

snowbabe

I am posting here in the hope that someone will help, I am a Mac user and know very little about PC operating systems, however I need help with regards to a Windows XP problem. My b/f cannot connect to the internet and we fear/think it may be a virus? Basically all we know is that when the computer came on there was some kind of message like.. "MSN Messenger cannot open.." then something about virus protection... but then.. it said "cannot connect to internet provider". All I know is that the computer is reeealllly slow or nothing works at all, the startup taskbar does nothing when clicked. He has Norton (but I'm not sure if he can access this as the startup task bar doesn't work - again I may be wrong I have never used Windows XP in my life - or a PC). Please someone help us?

Starup in "safe mode with networking" by pressing the F8 key when booting up. Download Avast @ download.com. Click run scan at bootup. restart. Hope this helps ;)

snowbabe

Thankyou for the help & the welcome :)

A little more detail..

He can connect to the internet now (for some mad reason it is letting him connect now).. THIS is the error message...

"Norton AntiVirus was unable to start the Instant Messenger Scanner. It will be unable to scan Instant Messenger downloads for infections......."

then a number at the bottom left corner of the message.....3021,4

Any ideas what he can do?.. And apparently I am getting conflicting info F5 boots a PC in safe mode? What does F8 do?

F8 boots windows into safe mode. When you turn on your computer (while you are still in the very first screen) rapidly press F8. this will launch a menu. Within this menu, there will be an option for 'Safemode'. Enter this option.

Go here for more details.

And again, welcome to TSG.

Can your B/f ping out?

A simple test...
Click Start>Run and type Cmd.
A black screen will come up with Docs and Settings etc....
Type in:

Ping www.google.com

You should get a response like:
Reply from 64.233.187.104: bytes=32 time=268ms TIL=240.....

It will show 4 lines of this with some other stuff underneath that. What are the packets sent and recieved?

Also, it looks like your msn is not configured properly. You may want to contact your provider for more details on this.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts