Virus

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

cindy_g3198

About a week ago when I went to shut my computer down black and orange stripes came across the screen and my hard drive froze up. Now this happens every time I go to shut down. Do I have a virus and what can I do to fix the problem? Thanks, Cindy

If you haven't run an updated virus scan you can do one here:

http://housecall.antivirus.com/pc_housecall/

You may well have something if you don't have a regular scanner. Whether it would cause the problem you are experiencing is another question.

Let us know which Windows version you are running and it will help us give some advice for troubleshooting the shutdown problem.

cindy_g3198

Thanks for the help Rollin' Rog. I have Windows Me. I have ran a virus check through McAfee twice and it didn't pick up anything. Should I try the one you suggested too? Thanks again for your help. I am new at this Cindy_g3198

Do you have the latest DAT files? If not, you need to go <a href="http://software.mcafee.com/centers/download/default.asp">HERE</a> and get them. If it is a new virus you have, and you don't have the latest DAT files then running a scan will not do any good. It will not see the virus if it is new. Download and install them, then run another virus scan. Let us know if this helps.

Here is a pretty good WinME troubleshooter, courtesy of MS.

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q242/0/37.ASP

To use it, I would first boot up in safe mode. To do this, press and hold the control key as soon as the computer starts to boot. You should get a Boot Menu. Choose safe mode from the options.

Once safe mode has loaded, go to start and run: msconfig (as indicated in the troubleshooter -- you might want to print it out).

Clear the check for "load startup group" and restart to normal mode and shut down to test. If you don't have the problem repeat, then the issue is with one of the files loading under the startup tab. You can selectively disable or enable those to test.

If you still get the error, try this: click the "Advanced" tab on msconfig and put a check in the box to load a standard 640x video driver. You problem could well be related to that or to your Monitor. If the problem doesn't occur with just a standard VGA driver, then you will need to remove and reinstall your Video Driver.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online