Virus!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

thief300

A friend of mine came over with his PC and said something was wrong. I couldn't get his hard drive to bring up his desktop. I decided then to put his drive in my system as a slave. Well......mine doesn't work either now. I asked him then if he downloaded anything and he said yes. He said it had to do with something called "funny".......Well I'm not laughing now. cause he has the funny virus on there and now so do I. I'm trying to format but it won't let me. My Norton boot disks are older. Is there a place to download an emergency boot disk with the latest definitions?

You can try the f-prot program that was used in this thread. It's not a boot disk (you can't format from it), but if you can get the program to install you may be able to clean the drive:

http://forums.techguy.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=57871

For an actual bootdisk that has some antivirus capability, you can try Ultimate Boot Disk, remember to create these things and write protect them on an uninfected pc using fresh formatted floppies.

http://www.startdisk.com/Web2/ubd/ubd.htm

Until you know whether you actually have a virus, I'll leave you here rather than move you to the Security forum, though someone else may come along and do differently...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online