Viruses shut us down, is all lost?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

dianev

Our four year old Dell computer got some nasty virus and had it worked on by two different people who thought they got rid of it (them) and slowly everything deteriorated and finally shut down. Do we need to buy a new one or can this machine be turned back on somehow and a program bought or something to fix the problem? We did have virus protection but evidently wasn't working properly. We have money issues so that is why we are hoping to salvage this one for now. Would appreciate any and all advise!:)

When you say shut down,do you mean it won't boot up at all? If the machine will power up at all, you might try this. Do you have data on the hard drive that you don't want to loose? If not, I recommend reformatting the hard drive and go to Dell's web site with your system serial # and download the latest bios. Very carefully flash the bios, format the drive, reinstall Windows.

dianev

Wow, I guess I am way over my head here. I guess I need more specifics like how to even get it on again? Sorry, I know this sounds dumb!

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
There is no reason you can't reload Windows from scratch on that machine.

How about telling us the exact model, and the exact nature of any CD's you received with the machine. Hopefully, Dell supplied a recovery CD that will restore Windows, or you'll have to obtain one from them.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
dianev said:
Wow, I guess I am way over my head here. I guess I need more specifics like how to even get it on again? Sorry, I know this sounds dumb!
Do not run out and try to FLASH the BIOS!

The advice to FLASH the BIOS is very ill-advised for a novice, and there's absolutely no indication that it's warranted in this case. The virus infection hasn't affected the BIOS, it's just trashed the hard disk contents. We don't want to start creating new problems instead of solving the current ones.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
RLJ1959 said:
If the bios is corrupt, a recovery cd won't help.
What makes you think the BIOS is corrupt? I see nothing in the posts that indicates that.

I don't know, but if the machine won't even do a post, what good is a recovery cd? What about taking canned air to the power supply to remove 4 years of dust.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
OK, I have yet to see where the machine won't POST either. :)

dianev, I think you need to tell us exactly what happens when you try to turn the machine on. How far into the boot process does it get?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online