Viscount electric piano midi problem

Mark8255

I was given a Viscount Maestro - Grande - Sinfonia electric piano. I would like to play midi files through it. It has standard audio in and out connectors (5-pin) into which I have plugged in "MIDI Cable Havit 5 Pin MIDI to USB Cable MIDI Interface in-Out to USB Converter MIDI Adapter with Indicator for Piano Keyboard to PC Mac Laptop" that I bought on Amazon. When I plug in the cable into my computer, nothing registers on my device manager and I can't figure out how to get the midi piano files that I download to play on the piano. The piano is over 15 years old and I don't know if it's too old to be recognized by Windows 10.

Here is the URL for the Operating Manual. Viscount Operating Manual
I've also attached the manual to this thread.

Thanks in advance if anyone has experience that can help me.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Build 19041, Installed 20201106040422.000000-240
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9700 CPU @ 3.00GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 158 Stepping 13, CPU Count: 8
Total Physical RAM: 16 GB
Graphics Card: Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630, 1024 MB
Hard Drives: C: 913 GB (749 GB Free); E: 931 GB (683 GB Free);
Motherboard: Dell Inc. 0T2HR0, ver A00, s/n 1G4C3Y2.CNPE1009560038.
System: Dell Inc., ver DELL - 1072009, s/n 1G4C3Y2
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

Attachments

managed

Allan
Is this the interface you bought ? :- https://www.amazon.com/Interface-Converter-Adapter-Indicator-Keyboard/dp/B087G7L7J2

If it is and you scroll down that webpage to 'How to USe' it shows you need to connect the Midi OUT to the Piano IN and the Midi IN to the Piano OUT, so do check that.

Also I think you need some sort of Music program, as shown here for a similar interface :- https://www.amazon.co.uk/Interface-Adapter-Converter-Compatible-Keyboard/dp/B07H23Q2FZ?th=1
scroll down and you will see ' 4. Open your music software program, e.g. Cubase, Sonar, MIDI Connections, etc. '
I think this would work, it's free and is an updated version of Sonar :- https://cakewalk.en.lo4d.com/windows

I can't test any of the above but hopefully it will work for you
Good luck with it and do let us know how you get on.

Mark8255

Is this the interface you bought ? :- https://www.amazon.com/Interface-Converter-Adapter-Indicator-Keyboard/dp/B087G7L7J2

If it is and you scroll down that webpage to 'How to USe' it shows you need to connect the Midi OUT to the Piano IN and the Midi IN to the Piano OUT, so do check that.

Also I think you need some sort of Music program, as shown here for a similar interface :- https://www.amazon.co.uk/Interface-Adapter-Converter-Compatible-Keyboard/dp/B07H23Q2FZ?th=1
scroll down and you will see ' 4. Open your music software program, e.g. Cubase, Sonar, MIDI Connections, etc. '
I think this would work, it's free and is an updated version of Sonar :- https://cakewalk.en.lo4d.com/windows

I can't test any of the above but hopefully it will work for you
Good luck with it and do let us know how you get on.
Thanks for the information. Plugged in the in to the out and the out to the in...had them reversed before, duh!... I downloaded Sonar from the link you provided. It works great to play on my PC. Now I just have to find a way to direct it to play on the piano.
#5 says: 5. Set the music programs MIDI in and MIDI out devices to “USB Audio Device”. I went to the settings tab in the app and nothing there. So, I'm stuck.
Thanks for the help thus far, but I need a bit more to get #5 done.

managed

Allan
With the piano and PC powered on try unplugging the Usb connector from the PC then plugging it back in - Do you get the usual 'Usb device connected' sound when you do that ? Does the light on the Usb plug come on ?

The only other things I can think of is to search the settings in the program for 'Usb-Audio-device' and look for a similar setting in Windows itself.

Mark8255

Thanks. I did that and the sound happens but I don't see anything coming up in device manager or anywhere else. Thanks for the suggestion though. I'll continue to look within Windows.

Oddba11

Jim
Just for clarification:
I would like to play midi files through it.
Unless I'm mistaken, you can't play files on an external device such as your computer, and use the piano as an output. I mean, you can play the files on the computer already, so I don't see what you are trying to accomplish.

It's not covered in the manual, at least I didn't see it, but the piano midi input is likely for the piano to read and pull files into it's memory (and they play from memory). It's also very likely expecting to be communicating with another midi device. Just because you can find a converter to change plug x into plug y doesn't mean it's going to work. A midi port doesn't supply device information, so you aren't suddenly going to see " Viscount Maestro " in Device Manager. At most, it would be "unknown device" as the computer is only seeing the adapter, not what's connected to it.

Unless you've read in a manual or audio forum somewhere that a converter can be used to interface a PC, I would assume that is not the case. Especially based on the age of this piano (it has a 3.5" disc backup system). Also, based on my very limited knowledge of audio gear, in cases like this where you do input gear with adapters, you need software on the PC that knows how to interact with the device that is connected.

For confirmation, you could try contacting the piano support, if it has any.

managed

Allan
I had noticed there is a floppy drive in the piano and I think you can put Midi files onto a 3.5" floppy disk and play them through the piano.

If you don't have a floppy drive on the PC you can get a Usb floppy drive quite cheap.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online