1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Vista-32 Updates Fail

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by indoflyer, Jan 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. indoflyer

indoflyer Thread Starter

Okay, I really need some help from you.. please! :(

Over the Christmas break, my laptop seems to have developed a new problem. All of a sudden, I realized that my wireless connection was not ok, and when I did an ipconfig, the Subnet Mask had changed to 255.255.0.0 and the IPv4 address was a 169.x.x.x address. I know that my IPv4 address has to be in the 192.168.x.x range with the subnet being 255.255.255.0. That's what my other laptop has. Because my laptop couldn't get to the subnet, it couldn't get to the internet as well.

I then went into IPv4 properties and set it to Use a fixed IP, gave an available 192.168.x.x IP, provided the right subnet and gateway address, and my laptop got back its internet access.

Looks like something happened to bring the network to this state, as right after this, I realized that my Windows Update was not set to 'Automatic Update' ON. I tried to bring it up, and it would not come on. I've tried various suggestions from the net, including re-registering all the DLLs, running it Microsoft FixIt 50461 and 50202, to say the least. When I attempt to bring up the Windows Update service manually, it indicates Error 0x80072726: An invalid argument was supplied. I've tried to make sure that the dependent services are up (only one was the RPC one and that is UP).

BTW, I have removed the Norton Internet Security 2011 installed on this machine as well, while I am trying to resolve this.

I would appreciate any pointers to get this resolved. Note that if I manually assign the IP address, I can get to the internet, but not otherwise. I wonder if the Windows Update failure was caused by the IP mis-configuration, or the other way around!

Thanks in advance!

2. indoflyer

indoflyer Thread Starter

Here's the HijackThis logfile:
    ===============================================
    Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
    Scan saved at 10:05:20 PM, on 1/3/2011
    Platform: Windows Vista SP2 (WinNT 6.00.1906)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6002.18005)
    Boot mode: Normal
    Running processes:
    C:\Windows\system32\taskeng.exe
    C:\Windows\system32\Dwm.exe
    C:\Windows\Explorer.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
    C:\Windows\System32\igfxtray.exe
    C:\Windows\System32\hkcmd.exe
    C:\Windows\System32\igfxpers.exe
    C:\Program Files\HP\QuickPlay\QPService.exe
    C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Quick Launch Buttons\QLBCTRL.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe
    C:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Update\hpwuSchd2.exe
    C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Wireless Assistant\HPWAMain.exe
    C:\Program Files\Mattel\Barbie Girls\Mattel.BarbieGirls.Tray.exe
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\GrooveMonitor.exe
    C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\LightScribe\LightScribeControlPanel.exe
    C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Advisor\HPAdvisor.exe
    C:\Windows\ehome\ehtray.exe
    C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmpnscfg.exe
    C:\Program Files\TomTom HOME 2\TomTomHOMERunner.exe
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\ONENOTEM.EXE
    C:\Windows\system32\igfxsrvc.exe
    C:\Windows\ehome\ehmsas.exe
    C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP wireless Assistant\WiFiMsg.EXE
    C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org 3\program\soffice.exe
    C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Shared\HpqToaster.exe
    C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org 3\program\soffice.bin
    C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPHelper.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe
    C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe
    C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\ieuser.exe
    C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    C:\Windows\system32\Macromed\Flash\FlashUtil10h_ActiveX.exe
    C:\Windows\system32\rundll32.exe
    C:\Windows\system32\mmc.exe
    C:\Windows\system32\SearchFilterHost.exe
    C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TYPE=3&tp=iehome&locale=en_us&c=91&bd=Presario&pf=cnnb
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
    R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TYPE=3&tp=iehome&locale=en_us&c=91&bd=Presario&pf=cnnb
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TYPE=3&tp=iehome&locale=en_us&c=91&bd=Presario&pf=cnnb
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TYPE=3&tp=iehome&locale=en_us&c=91&bd=Presario&pf=cnnb
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant =
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = *.local
    R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName =
    R3 - URLSearchHook: (no name) - {E312764E-7706-43F1-8DAB-FCDD2B1E416D} - C:\Program Files\pdfforge Toolbar\SearchSettings.dll
    O1 - Hosts: ::1 localhost
    O2 - BHO: AcroIEHelperStub - {18DF081C-E8AD-4283-A596-FA578C2EBDC3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelperShim.dll
    O2 - BHO: RealPlayer Download and Record Plugin for Internet Explorer - {3049C3E9-B461-4BC5-8870-4C09146192CA} - C:\Program Files\Real\RealPlayer\rpbrowserrecordplugin.dll
    O2 - BHO: Groove GFS Browser Helper - {72853161-30C5-4D22-B7F9-0BBC1D38A37E} - C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\GrooveShellExtensions.dll
    O2 - BHO: Microsoft Live Search Toolbar Helper - {d2ce3e00-f94a-4740-988e-03dc2f38c34f} - c:\Program Files\MSN\Toolbar\3.0.0541.0\msneshellx.dll
    O2 - BHO: Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {E312764E-7706-43F1-8DAB-FCDD2B1E416D} - C:\Program Files\pdfforge Toolbar\SearchSettings.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: Microsoft Live Search Toolbar - {1E61ED7C-7CB8-49d6-B9E9-AB4C880C8414} - c:\Program Files\MSN\Toolbar\3.0.0541.0\msneshellx.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SynTPEnh] C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IgfxTray] C:\Windows\system32\igfxtray.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\Windows\system32\hkcmd.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Persistence] C:\Windows\system32\igfxpers.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QPService] "C:\Program Files\HP\QuickPlay\QPService.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UpdateLBPShortCut] "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\LabelPrint\MUITransfer\MUIStartMenu.exe" "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\LabelPrint" UpdateWithCreateOnce "Software\CyberLink\LabelPrint\2.5"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UpdatePSTShortCut] "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\DVD Suite\MUITransfer\MUIStartMenu.exe" "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\DVD Suite" UpdateWithCreateOnce "Software\CyberLink\PowerStarter"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Windows Defender] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe -hide
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QlbCtrl.exe] C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Quick Launch Buttons\QlbCtrl.exe /Start
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UpdateP2GoShortCut] "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\Power2Go\MUITransfer\MUIStartMenu.exe" "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\Power2Go" UpdateWithCreateOnce "SOFTWARE\CyberLink\Power2Go\6.0"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UpdatePDIRShortCut] "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDirector\MUITransfer\MUIStartMenu.exe" "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDirector" UpdateWithCreateOnce "SOFTWARE\CyberLink\PowerDirector\7.0"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Health Check Scheduler] c:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Health Check\HPHC_Scheduler.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Software Update] C:\Program Files\Hp\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [hpWirelessAssistant] C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Wireless Assistant\HPWAMain.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [BarbieGirlsTray] C:\Program Files\Mattel\Barbie Girls\Mattel.BarbieGirls.Tray.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SearchSettings] C:\Program Files\pdfforge Toolbar\SearchSettings.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [GrooveMonitor] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\GrooveMonitor.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTTask.exe" -atboottime
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Reader Speed Launcher] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe ARM] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\ARM\1.0\AdobeARM.exe"
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [LightScribe Control Panel] C:\Program Files\Common Files\LightScribe\LightScribeControlPanel.exe -hidden
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [HPAdvisor] C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Advisor\HPAdvisor.exe autorun=AUTORUN
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ehTray.exe] C:\Windows\ehome\ehTray.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [WMPNSCFG] C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\WMPNSCFG.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [TomTomHOME.exe] "C:\Program Files\TomTom HOME 2\TomTomHOMERunner.exe"
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [GizmoDriveDelegate] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\PROGRA~1\GIZMO\GDRIVE.DLL,Remount_Startup_Images
    O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /detectMem (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
    O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [WindowsWelcomeCenter] rundll32.exe oobefldr.dll,ShowWelcomeCenter (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
    O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /detectMem (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
    O4 - Startup: OneNote 2007 Screen Clipper and Launcher.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\ONENOTEM.EXE
    O4 - Startup: OpenOffice.org 3.2.lnk = C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org 3\program\quickstart.exe
    O9 - Extra button: Send to OneNote - {2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\Office12\ONBttnIE.dll
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: S&end to OneNote - {2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\Office12\ONBttnIE.dll
    O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\Office12\REFIEBAR.DLL
    O13 - Gopher Prefix:
    O16 - DPF: {3D3B42C2-11BF-4732-A304-A01384B70D68} (UploadListView Class) - http://picasaweb.google.com/s/v/63.27/uploader2.cab
    O16 - DPF: {44990B00-3C9D-426D-81DF-AAB636FA4345} (Symantec Configuration Class) - https://www-secure.symantec.com/techsupp/asa/ss/sa/sa_cabs/tgctlcm.cab
    O16 - DPF: {4871A87A-BFDD-4106-8153-FFDE2BAC2967} (DLM Control) - http://dlm.tools.akamai.com/dlmanager/versions/activex/dlm-activex-2.2.5.7.cab
    O16 - DPF: {67DABFBF-D0AB-41FA-9C46-CC0F21721616} (DivXBrowserPlugin Object) - http://download.divx.com/player/DivXBrowserPlugin.cab
    O16 - DPF: {A1662FB6-39BE-41BB-ACDC-0448FB1B5817} (Photo Upload Plugin Class) - http://www.cvsphoto.com/upload/activex/v3_0_0_5/PhotoCenter_ActiveX_Control.cab
    O16 - DPF: {BEA7310D-06C4-4339-A784-DC3804819809} (Photo Upload Plugin Class) - http://images3.pnimedia.com/ProductAssets/costcous/activex/v3_0_0_7/PhotoCenter_ActiveX_Control.cab
    O16 - DPF: {E2883E8F-472F-4FB0-9522-AC9BF37916A7} - http://platformdl.adobe.com/NOS/getPlusPlus/1.6/gp.cab
    O16 - DPF: {EFD1E13D-1CB3-4545-B754-CA410FE7734F} (Photo Upload Plugin Class) - http://www.cvsphoto.com/upload/activex/v3_0_0_2/PhotoCenter_ActiveX_Control.cab
    O16 - DPF: {F27237D7-93C8-44C2-AC6E-D6057B9A918F} (JuniperSetupClientControl Class) - https://rvi.us.ericsson.net/dana-cached/sc/JuniperSetupClient.cab
    O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{12EB42D9-41E5-4806-B914-58C51C905EC4}: NameServer = 192.168.1.254
    O17 - HKLM\System\CS1\Services\Tcpip\..\{12EB42D9-41E5-4806-B914-58C51C905EC4}: NameServer = 192.168.1.254
    O17 - HKLM\System\CS2\Services\Tcpip\..\{12EB42D9-41E5-4806-B914-58C51C905EC4}: NameServer = 192.168.1.254
    O18 - Protocol: grooveLocalGWS - {88FED34C-F0CA-4636-A375-3CB6248B04CD} - C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\GrooveSystemServices.dll
    O23 - Service: Apple Mobile Device - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
    O23 - Service: Application Updater - Spigot, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Application Updater\ApplicationUpdater.exe
    O23 - Service: Bonjour Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
    O23 - Service: Com4QLBEx - Hewlett-Packard Development Company, L.P. - C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Quick Launch Buttons\Com4QLBEx.exe
    O23 - Service: GameConsoleService - WildTangent, Inc. - C:\Program Files\HP Games\My HP Game Console\GameConsoleService.exe
    O23 - Service: Gizmo Central - Arainia Solutions - C:\Program Files\Gizmo\gservice.exe
    O23 - Service: HP Health Check Service - Hewlett-Packard - c:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Health Check\hphc_service.exe
    O23 - Service: hpqwmiex - Hewlett-Packard Development Company, L.P. - C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Shared\hpqwmiex.exe
    O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\1050\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
    O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
    O23 - Service: LightScribeService Direct Disc Labeling Service (LightScribeService) - Hewlett-Packard Company - C:\Program Files\Common Files\LightScribe\LSSrvc.exe
    O23 - Service: Recovery Service for Windows - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\SMINST\BLService.exe
    O23 - Service: Cyberlink RichVideo Service(CRVS) (RichVideo) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\CyberLink\Shared files\RichVideo.exe
    O23 - Service: TomTomHOMEService - TomTom - C:\Program Files\TomTom HOME 2\TomTomHOMEService.exe
    O23 - Service: XAudioService - Conexant Systems, Inc. - C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\xaudio.exe
    --
    End of file - 12112 bytes

3. indoflyer

indoflyer Thread Starter

Bump.... please help/advise!

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Your computer has a large number of programs and services that are auto-loading and running in the background.

Many of them don't need to auto-load and run at all, and others can be manually started as needed.

I'm going to assist you in trimming down that bloated startup load, so follow these instructions carefully and completely:

Click Start - Run, type in MSCONFIG and then click OK - Startup(tab).

Remove the checkmark in these entries:

IgfxTray or igfxtray

HotKeysCmds or hkcmd

Persistence or igfxpers

UpdateLBPShortCut or MUIStartMenu

UpdatePSTShortCut or MUIStartMenu

UpdateP2GoShortCut or MUIStartMenu

UpdateDIRShortCut or MUIStartMenu

SunJavaUpdateSched or jusched

HP Health Check Scheduler or HPHC_Scheduler

HP Software Update or HPWuSchd2

BarbieGirlsTray or Mattel.BarbieGirls.Tray

TkBellExe or realsched

SearchSettings

GrooveMonitor

QuickTask or QTTask

iTunesHelper

Adobe Reader Speed Launcher or Reader_sl

Adobe ARM or AdobeARM

HPAdvisor

TomTomHOME

OneNote 2007 Screen Clipper and Launcher or ONENOTEM

OpenOffice.org 3.2

After you're done, click Apply - OK/Close - Exit Without Restart.

Click start - Run, type in SERVICES.MSC and then click OK.

Expand the window so you can see the list more clearly.

Double-click on these entries one at a time to open their properties window.

If "Startup Type" is set on Automatic, change it to Manual, then click Apply - OK.

Application Updater

Com4QLBEx

GameConsoleService

HP Health Check Service

hpqwmmiex

InstallDriver Table Manager

Cyberlink RichVideo Service

TomTomHOMEService

XAudioService

After you're done, close the window and then restart your computer.

Start HiJackThis and run a scan.

Save that new log and then submit it here.

--------------------------------------------------

If you've uninstalled Norton Internet Security 2011, you need to run a special removal tool to get rid of all the leftover files and registry entries for it.

I also recommend not installing it, and I recommend replacing it with Microsoft Security Essentials 2.0.657.0.

Go here and click one of the MajorGeeks links to download and save it.

After that's done, close all open windows first, then double-click the saved file to run it.

Allow it to remove everything that's associated with Symantec, Norton, and LiveUpdate.

After the removal process is complete, restart your computer.

--------------------------------------------------

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/972534

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice