1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Vista 64 bit giving me BSOD looping hell

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Voe, Mar 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Voe

Voe Thread Starter

I'm a gamer and a major 'net addict, but when it comes to the inner workings of my beloved hardware, I don't have a clue in hell. I'm not a complete dimwit, but expansive responses would be much appreciated.

I've had this PC for about a year now and ever since I first had it it's been giving me nightmares. It started with small browser crashes from watching Youtube vids to full BSOD'ing from gaming and the like. I ignored the BSODs for a long while and after a handful of months the problem got out of hand. My PC wouldn't crash if I kept it on or turned it on everyday as if it'd remain alive if it were "warmed up". I went away on vacation for two months - meaning I turned it off - came back, but it was stuck in a permanent BSOD loop and I was unable to boot from anything, anywhere, anyhow. After two weeks of incessant attempts, I finally got it back to its desktop, and can not continuously turn it on with an 80% success rate without BSODs. I have googled to hell and back on this one and came to the slightly unsure conclusion it was from incompatible drivers. But now I feel my PC is corrupted in some sense from the 400+ BSODs it's gone through. The internet no longer works on it, it's very sensitive to just about anything - file opening, moving the cursor, etc. I turn it on everyday but it's incapable of doing anything, and that includes reformatting with XP which I have tried desperately so very many times. It just BSODs. That's all it does. Ever.

As I said, the internet simply doesn't connect anymore (even after many re-installation attempts and fumbling around with it) so I can't directly download things to it, but I can transfer from this archaic laptop I'm using now, assuming my PC won't become moody and BSOD. Because that's what it does best.

I've had just about every blue screen error in the book, some of which don't even come up with results via google. The error codes are so sporadic that they don't seem to matter anymore. None of them were consistent.

Anyway, I have a Gateway GT5685E, Vista SP1, with NVIDIA GeForce 7100/nForce 630i video cards. Standard stuff.

Any tips, suggestions? Where should I go from here? Am I screwed?

I really, really appreciate any responses. I'm desperate.
    Thanks!

2. Mollie

Mollie

First of all, to get out of looping hell, the next time you manage to log on to your desktop, do the folllowing: right click on the icon "computer," then click on "properties." When the system window pops up, click on "advanced system settings." When that window pops up, you should be looking at the "advanced" tag. In the section "startup and recovery" click on "settings." In that window, in the section "system failure," UNcheck the box that says "automatically restart." Click "ok," then "ok" again.

Next time your computer BSODs, write down the exact error it is giving you (you should be able to read the whole error message, as the BSOD will stay in place until you turn your computer off or restart it yourself), and then post it in the forums, and someone may be able to help you. It's difficult to diaganose a problem like yours without knowing the exact error(s).

Now, having said all that, how much RAM do you have installed? Without knowing anything, I'm venturing a guess (and it's ONLY a guess) that it may be bad RAM (memory stick). If you can, try replacing your RAM and see if you still get the same kind of errors.

I hope this helps!

Mollie

3. Voe

Voe Thread Starter

Thanks for the tips, Mollie!

Generally nowadays I'm turning my PC on daily so it doesn't BSOD, meaning it won't necessarily BSOD unless I provoke it... which, I'm scared to do, because it's dreadfully difficult to get it back to its somewhat alive state.
    Would error codes really be useful in my case? I've had so many different error codes that I gave up attempting to research them. If I gave one error code, my PC is liable to BSOD another time with a completely different code and so on and so forth. The only consistent thing regarding them is that most of my BSODs are brought on by something music or video related.

I haven't had any upgrades to my PC at all, it's completely fresh from the factory in terms of RAM. I'll try replacing it when I can anyhow. It can't hurt.

But in the meantime, any other ideas?

4. Voe

Voe Thread Starter

I just got a STOP error while leaving my PC to idle and the blank screen saver came up. I don't have it on sleep settings as that's an auto-BSOD.

Error is 0x000000C4.

Any help? At all?

5. Megabite

Megabite

If you have any Minidumps then post them....just the last 3.......you will have to click on Go Advanced and then Manage attachments in your post on this site to post them

You will find them at C:\WINDOWS\Minidump

Compress them either Zip or Rar and post them

6. Voe

Voe Thread Starter

Done, I think.

Attached Files:

• MDD.zip
      File size:
      91.9 KB
      Views:
  7. Megabite

Megabite

8. Mollie

Mollie

I notice the minidump files are dated in January. Are they actually from January, or by chance is your computer resetting the date every time you get a BSOD?

Mollie

9. Voe

Voe Thread Starter

I didn't really understand that either. Do BSODs necessarily = minidumps? Or do they clear themselves? A few might have gotten lost while I was restoring last month.

I updated the card reader driver and tried to provoke a BSOD by rebooting. It took a full 5 minutes of watching the "Shutting down..." screen until it did end in a BSOD. However, it's never taken that long to BSOD. Usually when I reboot/shutdown, it'll BSOD within a few seconds. Maybe a little progress or am I just too hopeful?
    What should I try next?

10. Voe

Voe Thread Starter

Here's the last three minidumps I just provoked while testing out the driver updates, just in case.

Attached Files:

11. Megabite

Megabite

All those were same as before Probably caused by : RTSTOR64.SYS

12. Voe

Voe Thread Starter

I'm at a loss, then. I'll just fumble around with updating drivers and hope something works.

13. Megabite

Megabite

14. Voe

Voe Thread Starter

It does; I tried that and got the same result. It improves things, but doesn't fix anything.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/910435

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice