1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Vista 64-bit won't play commercial movies

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Havola, Jan 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Havola

Havola Thread Starter

Problem: Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit does not recognize DVD VIDEO_TS folder on a movie DVD. In other words, Windows Media Center cannot play a Movie DVD. I see the VOB file is used by Window Media Center, but the BUP and IFO files are not seen. When I insert a movie DVD and try to play it, Windows Media Center says it cannot detect a video DVD into the drive. Also, when I open explorer and look at the DVD drive, it shows no disc it it, opens the DVD drive and asks me to insert a disc. It shows all other CD and DVD disc, and I can read and write data, photo files. They are all seen, just not the DVD movie DVDs. I can make movies from Windows Movie Maker and plays those okay. Here's what I've tried so far. Updating DVD driver, uninstalling DVD from Device manager and shutting down then disconnecting the drive from the motherboard. Waited 10 minutes, then reconnected the DVD drive and booted up. None of the above worked. My computer has a LG (HL-DT-ST-DVD-RAM SA-H55N ATA) Device, which reads/writes both DVDs and Cd's. My computer is 4 years old, but I've never tried to play a movie DVD in it before.
    Manufacturer: Cyberpower, Inc (desktop)
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2DuoCPPU E6850 @ 3.00GHz 3.00 GHz
    Memory (RAM): 4.00 GB
    System type: 64-bit
    Any suggestions on how to fix it?

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Download K-Lite Codec Pack 6.8.0 Full. During the install process, select "Default(without player)", then select "Windows Media Player", then add all video and audio codecs to it.

You should then be able to view DVD movies in Windows Media Player 11 without any problem.

Unless you're connecting your computer to your TV, you probably don't need the Windows Media Center feature in Windows Vista and Windows 7.

------------------------------------------------------------------

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/976365

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice