1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Vista 64 Dell Xps Crashing randomly

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by JakeTheXpsOwner, Jan 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JakeTheXpsOwner

JakeTheXpsOwner Thread Starter

Hello Everyone,

I'm an owner of a Dell Xps 630i (I know, i know) and for a full year almost there have been no real issues, the random crash here and there obviously but now its been having strange crashing issues. Specifically, the machine will crash at a seemingly random interval, and not a BSOD crash, a "monitor is now in power save but the audio continues for about 15 seconds before entering a crash loop" crash. *Once the computer crashes, the screen goes black and becomes totally unresponsive, no Ctrl+Alt+Delete, no picture, no nothing except the sound that was playing, and about 5-30 seconds into the blackout the sound starts a short crashloop of whatever was happening at the time, generally a loud repetetive undulating noise.* It often crashes while playing games, i.e. World of Warcraft or Civilization 5 but recently it has crashed while idle (about 20 minutes after startup) and then while i was attempting some overvoltage changes on the BIOS (read about them as a possible fix on the dell support site) it crashed again within i'd say 2 minutes of startup while i was still in the BIOS.

I have attempted to fix this issue, although i have not had lot of time to work on it yet, since i have to go to work and its a recent issue. What i have done though, has seemingly had no effect. I have updated practically all the drivers, taking special caution with the audio and video drivers, did clean uninstall and reinstalls of both, and i also made sure all windows updates are installed and ready to go. I also changed the overvoltage options in the BIOS to a slightly higher setting (monitor going into power save = not enough juice?) no effect, I also underclocked the FSB and CPU in an attempt to create system stability but again, no effect.

So here i am. Hardware wise, ive opened the case and checked that the fans are in operation, the Video Card's fan appears to have a decent rpm, although i have not used a utility yet to confirm, and compressed air was used to clean out the inside of the case. The strange way this issue has come from nowhere, and the way it happens with no blue screen seems to say software issue to me, but i'm not really sure where to begin, and even then that just might be wishful thinking. Ive checked the event viewer and the only really relevent logs are Event 41 Windows Kernel Power Errors and that appears to just be a "didn't shut down properly" log.

I'd be glad to provide any additional info it just might take me a little while, i'm currently not with the PC. From what i hear, its on a 5 hour hot streak so i'll try to keep you all posted.

Thanks in advance, hopefully someone can help me out!

-Jake

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/972298

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice