1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Vista 64 freezes after loading desktop

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by myviolinsings, May 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. myviolinsings

myviolinsings Thread Starter

I have spent 2 wks trying to resolve an unknown issue with my almost 1 yr old acer aspire 8930g laptop. Currently, I have restored it back to a couple days ago, since the latest unknown issue began yesterday a.m. when I booted it up and was told my vista was illegal and it would not let me input the OEM (much less the sticker SN) serial number. After viewing in repair, it seems 2 updates for windows were installed the previous nite, and since this had never happened before (my os shipped loaded on my laptop last may and is legal) and the initial message upon boot said "unauthorized changes were made to the system" I can only assume 1 of the 2 updates caused it, so restored to just before those updates and changed automatic updating to let me view and decide.

That said, here are my specs:
    Acer Aspire 8930g
    Intel Core2 Duo T6400 2.0ghz (x2)
    2 HDs (500 gb total; 1/2 used)
    4 gb RAM
    Nvidea 9600M w/1 gb DRAM
    OS Vista Home Premium 64bit

Have never had a single issue with laptop till 2 wks ago, while playing a video game (not online) and it froze up. I had to hard boot to get out of it and after a few more instances of same, starting game didn't even show I had ever played. Game data was still in folder, updated to first freeze, so I began looking for issue.

I had installed Norton Security Suite a few days prior and wondered if it was the culprit (tho I couldn't fathom this being the case) and prior to that had been using combo of Avast and SuperAntispyware successfully. So I uninstalled Norton, reinstalled the other 2, still constant freezing and always a hard boot required to exit sys hang.

I have stopped most start up services, run Reimage Repair (for suggestions only, didn't purchase key), Registry Blue (which found about 500 errors--no wonder with all I've done so far) and purchased it to repair, still have the same problem. Checkdisk has run multiple times, and although at first event viewer showed several critical errors, those have no longer occurred and I can't see anything else that would be causing this.

Only 2x did I get BSOD, both same errors, and only after multiple hardboots did this occur. Error msg asks for me to disconnect any recently added hardware, but I have added nothing to this laptop since purchase.

Now the issue varies as sometimes I can actually perform some system tasks without freezing, but IE always freezes and using eventviewer or system tools will usually freeze within minutes.

Multiple viral scans with Norton, Avast, Superantispyware, and free Windows Registry fix as well as ReistryBooster have revealed nothing out of the ordinary. Using repair disc, I have checked memory errors but no errors are found.

I have been able to copy most of my files from it to home pc via network, although while copying last batch, screen went dark (saver) and touching the touchpad froze it up mid-copy. What had completed is transferred to home pc, I am finishing the final copies in case I have to restore to factory condition. Of course, still under warranty, I have no use for Acer tech support as they, like all other support, always go right for the "restore to factory condition" fix. No one is willing to walk thru the issues to try and resolve what is causing this and I have about 10 days till my warranty expires.

If this is faulty hardware, I need to know before warranty expires on May 12. If anyone can help me, I'll be glad to give all info you need, answer questions, anything to figure this out. I am set to receive emails personally as well as notifications when someone responds to this thread.

Thx
    Sheila

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/920436

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice