Vista 64 Ultimate can't copy to 2TB drive?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

rickroll

I have a new Samsung Spinpoint 2TB drive that has passed multiple integrity checks with zero errors. I copied about 150 GB of data to it, no problem, then started a batch copy of around 1TB of data to it (a collection of folders pulled from a 1TB drive to the 2TB drive from within Vista). The estimate was around 4 hours so I went to bed.

When I woke up, the copy was stuck, saying that 25 minutes remained. The OS was not crashed, and I was able to access both drives. But the copy wasn't doing anything and I couldn't cancel it. So I rebooted and tried copying the remaining batch. It copied one file and locked up again (the copy op, not the OS).

I was able to copy files to the 2TB drive one at a time, but any attempt to copy a batch of files to the drive would just lock up. This was on a fresh install of Vista Ultimate 64, with the 2TB drive holding just over 1TB of data.

I don't think the problem is the drive, because rebooting into Knoppix allowed me to continue copying the missing data as a batch without a problem.

Does anybody know what the problem is? If there is a problem with the disk I'd like to know before the RMA window closes.

rickroll

Robocopy and Richcopy fail in the exact same way. If I copy the files to the drive in Linux, I can access them in Linux and I can see the top-level folders in Vista. But if I try to access the files in Vista I get "Location is not available. Incorrect function" (I changed the permissions in Linux so that shouldn't be the issue).

I have tried swapping SATA cables. I have tried unplugging other drives. Nothing works. In Vista it just will not write to the second half of the drive, and I can't read files written there by Linux. What am I doing wrong?

rickroll

Well it was, as usual, something incredibly stupid. I updated the drivers for my motherboard (nVidia 790i) and it started working. Thanks for the help - hopefully if someone else has this problem this will help them.

Thats great!

please mark this thread "solved" by using th solved button above your first post.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online