1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

vista 64b laptop crashed, slowed down, bad maintenence, shuts itself down now.

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by lazyfudge, Jan 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lazyfudge

lazyfudge Thread Starter

Well I don't know how much detail I can give since it started getting really bad a few days ago and I just stopped using it figuring it would only made any potential damage worse. I'm posting this from my school's computer lab. First I got stuck logging off so I had to manually shut it down after a day. After that, it seems to simply power off after being turned on for 10-30 minutes. No BSOD. No shut down screen. Just instant lights out. This was all in safe mode btw, I was prompted because of the aforementioned manual shutdown. Since that event, I haven't even been in normal mode. I don't know if that's virus behavior or what, you tell me. Risks were plenty, IRC without a vhost, downloading all kinds of crap, flash games etc. Although I had avast, spyware blaster, and ad aware running. Firstly is there anything I can do to stop the auto shutdown, quick enough before it shuts down? Otherwise I'm just ready to format it and install xp or reinstall vista. I have most of my files backed up. I'd like to know if formatting would guarantee any potential viruses, corruption, etc from lingering and spreading to my usb sticks, external hdd, and DAP?

spex if it helps:
    Vista Home 64 bit
    4GB RAM
    2.2 GHz dual core off the top of my head
    I'd be happy to provide any additional details upon request if I know them myself. I can get the exact model and full system specs if need be, I just didn't think it necessary for this.

Thanks

edit man there's a lot I can't remember haha but I just remembered I tried to do a system restore and all the restore points I've made were missing! So I'm guessing this is some type of destructive malware unless that's supposed to happen in safe mode...

2. RaytheBear

RaytheBear

Yes, Formatting will get rid of all the Nasties but I would hold off if you can until more experts and or a moderator comes along to offer you some advice.
    For example, let us suppose it is a hardware problem, then you would have basically formatted for nothing.

Also, if you choose to format, make sure your USB sticks, external HD, etc., are also clean of Malware/Viruses, etc., otherwise you will just pass it back on to your newly formatted system.

Good luck
    Ray

3. lazyfudge

lazyfudge Thread Starter

Cool and fair enough. I considered it being a hardware problem but I concluded it would be much more likely to be a software problem with all the lack of care I've given it, while not having any physical abuse incur, to my knowledge.

4. lazyfudge

lazyfudge Thread Starter

bump, any experts?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/973540

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice