1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Vista 64bit - BSOD after gaming for several hours w/ dual monitors

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by BBL, Nov 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BBL

BBL Thread Starter

Lately I've been receiving blue screens fairly often after playing certain video games for about an hour or two. I believe the issue started occurring when I began using a second monitor, but it happens even when there's no second game or program running on that monitor. Most (all?) of the errors seem to have something to do with the "Dxgkrnl.sys" file.

I have updated DirectX, my graphics drivers, and my Windows updates are all current as well.

Here is a zip file containing 14 of the most recent blue screen logs (from C:\Windows\Minidump):
    www.veevsvault.com/veev/BBL_Minidump.zip

And a DxDiag report:
    www.veevsvault.com/veev/BBL_DxDiag.txt

I'm not sure what else to try other than not using the second monitor, but I'd really rather not have to resort to that since it's become somewhat crucial for me now. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated! :)

2. BBL

BBL Thread Starter

Also if Windows 7 could possibly fix this issue that would be good to know, I've been considering upgrading and that would probably give me all of the remaining motivation I'd need to make the switch.

3. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

That's a "directx" (graphics) error as you know.

Why you are getting them that late in the game I don't know -- if it is not resource management, then heat would be a possibility.

But other errors report "memory management", a catch-all fault bucket.

Have you tried disabling the second Monitor?

There may be a memory conflict here with Daemon Tools -- and I would test with that uninstalled.

4. BBL

BBL Thread Starter

I'll try uninstalling Daemon Tools and see if I can evade a crash for an hour or 2. If I crash again I guess I'll try disabling the 2nd monitor just to confirm that's the problem, though I'd really like to find a workable solution that doesn't involve doing that.

5. BBL

BBL Thread Starter

Definitely still doing it w/o Daemon Tools (even though I never had the actual program running in the background), trying it without the 2nd monitor now. Last time it did it my screen was going black in and out, sort of hard to explain, the way it did it made me thing it may be my video card though.

6. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Are you overclocking anything, especially the Display drivers?

What if you set the game details and resource usage at "normal" rather than what you think the configuration should be capable of?

7. BBL

BBL Thread Starter

I did have my Q6600 overclocked from 2.4 to 3.2 (which I've done for well over a year without any issues), I've removed the overclocking now to see if it has any effect. Also it did just crash with my 2nd monitor completely disabled (while overclocking though), so guess that was unrelated.

Is it normal for a processor to sort of age and no longer be able to handle overclocking? Or could it just be my memory starting to go bad maybe? Tons of possibilities I know just tryin to think where to start looking, for now I'll see if undoing the overclock fixes it at least.

Thanks for the help btw!

8. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Yes on all counts, same with Display chips -- there is 'aging' and weakening of the contacts due to stress caused by heating and cooling over time.

You might even try underclocking as a good test.

You can test the ram with something like Memtest86 -- sometimes it is better to test one module at a time, but that's up to you.

Beginners Guides: Diagnosing Bad Memory

Memtest86 - A Stand-alone Memory Diagnostic

9. BBL

BBL Thread Starter

Undoing the overclocking seems to have fixed it - thanks :)

I suppose I should buy a new processor now since I can notice a huge difference without the overclocking though

10. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Well if indeed the overclocking is a critical need -- you may have to do that; you could also try getting some extra cooling and perhaps redoing the heatsinking if you are a hardware person.

You're certainly welcome for the tip; good luck!

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/876711

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice