1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Vista 64bit BSOD problems

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by copeyhagen, Jan 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. copeyhagen

copeyhagen Thread Starter

hey all, joined up the forums hoping somebody could help me with a problem I am currently having. :)

last thursday i noticed one of the fake virus alert hijackers popped up on my pc. as usual i just alt+ctrl+del to close it without touching it, then booted into safe mode and ran malware bytes, spybot s&d and avg free. looked like the problem was sorted. headed away for the weekend, came home sunday and got a bsod after a while. restarted and looked ok. then monday same thing happened again. Again i restarted and seemed ok.

yesterday turned on my pc and i get a bsod within about 2 minutes. I tried restoring to two weeks ago, looked ok, loaded up a game then bang, same bsod so i just left it last night.

its a desktop running vista home premium, 4 gig ram, ati hd4870 graphics card, vista should be fairly up to date.

tried removing each ram module and still kept happening, i doubt both ram modules are fooked? had updated my ati drivers through steam about 2 weeks ago.

the stop errors i have seen are:

0x3b
    0x1e
    0x0a

I also tried taking the graphics card out, cleaned all the fans, case, cpu, gfx, and put the card back in. booted it up and was running ok for 2 or 3 mins but i left it and went training. when i came back in 2 hours later there was a bsod.

I then tried using a vista repair disc i created, I ran the mem check and that found nothing (i think, both passes went to 100%), though it said "results will be posted upon startup", but of course, upon startup it bsod'd!

I tried "repairing the startup" from the repair disc but it found no problems.

the pc will boot into safe mode and not get a bsod at all? does that mean its not hardware related?

a friend in work mentioned it could be virus related and that av might have missed it, to remove avg and install the microsoft one and see if that finds anything?

All ideas are much appreciated!

thanks in advance.

Rob

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/977290

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice