1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Vista Accessing Public Hotspots

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by MicBusServ, Jul 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MicBusServ

MicBusServ Thread Starter

My local library has a public hotspot. Previously I had a laptop with XP Pro on it. I was able to access the hotspot at the library with no problem. It requires opening a new browser window and clicking the guest button on the webpage that appears. No passwords required. This allows access to the internet and the library webpages.

With my new Vista Business laptop, the network icon in the notification area just shows local access instead of local & internet. When I open a browser window it won't connect with any webpage. I thus cannot become a guest to connect to the libraries lan & the internet even though I am shown as being connected to the wireless lan hotspot in the notification area.

I talked to tech guy at the ISP that provides the hotspot for the library and he said Vista changed the way it obtains IP address from them as compared to XP. I have tried some searches on the internet concerning Vista and public hotspots to no avail. Does anyone here know a workaround or fix for this behavior?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/593041

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice