Vista Activation

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

nathane

Hey all again.
Ok, here is the deal. I cannot activate Windows Vista Ultimate x64
Why? well...

1. As it is OEM software, I cannot activate via phone
2. I live in college behind an authenticating proxy server (which they will not adjust for me - even though there is a microsoft web site saying exactly what the problem is and how to fix it) so activating over the internet doesn't work
3. Proxy bypass software (ex privoxy etc) doesn't work
4. I cant ring or email microsoft for troubleshooting since the software is OEM
5. It a VERY VERY large tower so moving it to somewhere is a real pain in the ***

I dont know what you are meant to do if you have an OEM copy of Vista and dont have an internet connection???

Any ideas anyone??:eek:

DoubleHelix

Banned
Maybe I'm missing something about Vista, but why can't you call Microsoft if it's an OEM version? You could do that with XP.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I guess you're out of luck. Get your moving shoes on and move to a place where you can activate it.

In exchange for the discounted price and the fact that OEM is meant to be installed as is say OEM there is no Tech Support from Microsoft. Thats supposed to be provided from the OEM manufacturer hence OEM.

DoubleHelix

Banned
That doesn't explain why it can't be activated. Windows XP OEM versions can be activated online or via telephone. It only describes the general support structure.

As for activation, Brown said users could expect a return to the familiar activation scenario. Windows Vista, like XP, contains an electronic list of the components within the PC, which it turns into a code, or hash. If a user adds or subtracts too many components, the hash will change enough that it will signal the need for another activation, which can be done either online or via telephone.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/zd/20070126/tc_zd/199653

Thats all I got

Its just M$... sticking it to ya... ;)

Get out the red-wagon, gotta move that baby across the street.

Er, no its M$ sticking it to the user... As the poster has stated, while his school is part of the problem - the inability to CALL is a M$ issue.

Whether or not MS provides technical support for it there still should be no problem calling to activate the installation, as others have said. I'd call the number showing during attempts to activate, I don't believe they would decline to assist.

Well.. that makes sense! If BP didnt sell ya the gas... your car wouldn't have moved to be in any accident.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online