1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Vista addicted to its own install disc

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by botherer, Aug 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. botherer

botherer Thread Starter

Hi there,

My machine has four SATA HDDs. XP is installed on one, and has been my primary operating system. However, the machine came with Vista installed, and that has sat idle on another HDD. I have recently tried booting into it (changing the boot order in the bios), and found that it bluescreens after about one minute each time. Attempts to fix this were scuppered by, well, it bluescreening after about one minute each time.

I figured, why don't I just install Vista on a third HDD, and then afterwards delete the previous version. And yes, I'm beginning to realise this was naive. So I went ahead, installed Vista, and all has gone beautifully...

Until I try to boot the machine without the Vista recovery disc in the drive. Without it, it reports that there is a disc error, and it needs a boot disc. With it, but waiting for it to time out, it then offers me the option to load either the new Vista, or XP, thankfully entirely ignoring the old Vista install.

So I'm assuming that something has gone wrong with the MBR, or something like that, and it's getting around that by using something on the Vista disc. When I switch the HDD priorities around to put the XP drive first, it boots straight into XP with no issues, no menus, etc.

Bearing in mind I'm the sort of person who willingly installs Vista twice, without considering the confusing consequences, could anyone give me some advice how to repair this so it's no longer dependent on its boot disc? While I know the letters "MBR", that's about as far as my knowledge extends on that matter.

I've read other threads with people having this problem, however theirs have been solved by changing jumper settings on WD HDDs - but these are all SATA. However, the new Vista install is on a WDC HDD, while XP is on a Maxtor. Just in case that's relevant.

Many thanks,
    John W

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/741185

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice