1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Vista Almost Randomly "Crashes" Few Minutes After Login

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by etranger, Apr 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. etranger

etranger Thread Starter

After almost a whole day scratching my head, I finally decide t seek help.

My Vista PC has been acting up only recently, crashing every open program a few minutes after logging in with the press of a key or a click of the cursor. Task manager doesn't pop up, and when you open it before the crashes, it decides to join in the fun. Control-alt-delete doesn't help either, as it just makes me wait three minutes after pressing the combination, takes me to a black screen, and a few more minutes later, gives me a dialog box saying: "Failed to create security options." The mouse cursor can still move, so it's not a full on system crash, though everything else doesn't. I let this wait out for more than two hours, it still stays the same.

After so many forced restarts, I tried some of the security options:

• Safe Mode - Doesn't work, only seems to restart the system once it's done "loading core drivers."
    • Boot from last successful boot attempt - same thing, crash after login.
    • Check for memory errors - No errors, that's the thing.
    • System restore - tried restoring to a point before the crashes started happening, yet they still happen.
    • Reset operating system - I'm not that desperate to try that just yet.
    • Start windows normally - Same thing.
    Also, to see that it might not be a hardware problem, I try running Ubuntu and XP installed on the same system. No mysterious crashing, so the problem is isolated in Vista.

The only new software I've installed are some games, though they've been installed some time before the crashes started happening.

I've also tried updating my system, though I can't keep it on long enough to download and install without crashing.

More info on the system:

• Acer Aspire AX1800
    • 2 GB Memory
    • Pentium E2220 CPU
    • Vista Home Basic SP1

As you can see, I'm stumped. I'm just short of reinstalling Vista, or going to the shop to buy Windows 7. I'd really like to keep some of my files and programs intact, so I'm not ready to do that just yet.

Thanks to anyone willing to help.

2. hp-man

hp-man

I'm having similar symptoms with my HP Pavilion running on Vista for some time now. Recently though it's so bad I couldn't get anything done due to always trying to restart on it's own. Then it would hangup on reboot and the beeper would sound a series of beeps. I would do a forced shut down and then it would usually reboot fine only to repeat the process.

Does the motherboard beeper give you any beeping codes that might give you an idea of what's going on. Mine was giving a code of 1 short and 1 long. On an HP site I found the list of codes for my motherboard and this one is a memory error.

Vista is extremely sensitive to any kind of memory error and this would explain why XP would run fine on the same machine. Here is a good article you might want to read on this issue. http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/?p=399

Some tips I found and tried were:
    1.) Clean all the dust bunnies off of the motherboard.
    2.) Remove the memory modules and reinsert them.
    3.) Make sure all cooling fans are in working order.
    4.) Run the "Memory Diagnostics Tool" that comes packaged with Vista (it didn't come up with any errors on the test I did but am planning to download another program and run a test with it to see if it catches something this one didn't)

I'm still not out of the woods but right now after cleaning and physically examining the memory modules it's been running fine for about an hour, better than it has the last couple days.

Good Luck

3. etranger

etranger Thread Starter

No beep codes, the machine boots just fine. It's only a few minutes after login when every program crashes.

I looked around at a few other threads and tried using the built-in system file checker (you can google it.) After letting it run up to 100%, it tells me that some windows components were corrupted and it was unable to replace them. I tried reading the log file, though I still can't seem to make sense of it. I've attached it if anyone could explain it for me.

Cleaning I just might try later today, as it has been a bit dusty around the house recently (Someone in the family decided to give the house a makeover...), and I'm a bit optimistic that that might solve my problem.

I'll just keep you tuned in for now.

Attached Files:

4. jaygor

jaygor

It is possible that the supplier installed the wrong BIOS for your machine. I had this problem and now with latest BIOS installed my laptop appears to be working fine with no crashes.
    jaygor

5. etranger

etranger Thread Starter

I doubt that it came with the wrong BIOS. With Vista preinstalled, I was able to run my system without problems until now. I would still check for an update to the BIOS, though.

6. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Odd about Safe Mode -- that might suggest a hardware problem or perhaps overheating

The SFC log reveals nothing significant -- but possibly some "sidebar gadget" related issues that do not involve system files -- so I would disable that, you may have something there that is hanging the system.

Have you tried a "clean boot" test?

CLEAN BOOT TROUBLESHOOTING technique

First, (if you can) restart in Safe Mode -- (tap the f8 key promptly on startup and choose the Safe Mode option from the boot menu) or Normal mode

Then:

Run msconfig and select the "Services" tab. Check "Hide Microsoft Services" and then disable the rest. Also uncheck "load startup items" on the general page.

Now restart and test the issue at hand

If no problems, run msconfig and recheck half the disabled items on the Services tab. Test again. If the problem recurs, UNcheck half the items you just checked to narrow down the culprit.

If the problem didn't occur, check the other half, so all the Services are enabled -- proceed to do this on the startup tab as well.

Get the idea? You want to isolate the problem to a specific startup if possible.

Note: if you already have items unchecked under msconfig > startups and are in “selective” startup mode – you should note what these are before beginning. They will need to be de-selected again.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135/en-us

7. etranger

etranger Thread Starter

I got a little improvement on safe mode: it finally gets to the point where it shows the cursor, but after that, it just restarts. I can still boot up and login successfully into safe mode with command prompt, though I'm not sure if that still works now.

Any command line options?

8. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

I like HP Man's advice as this does seem like a hardware issue quite possibly with overheating or faulty ram. I would tend to think heat from the symptoms.

You can try running chkdsk /r from a command line, but I doubt this is really a corruption issue.

Have you tried running the memory diagnostic from the System Recovery options?

9. etranger

etranger Thread Starter

I have tried Windows' diagnostic: It runs without any problems, and then boots the system as normal, leading to the crashes while I wait for the results.

As for hardware, I opened up the box yesterday and found the inside relatively clean (Not very clean, but most parts seem fine, including the memory chips - Which, by the way, are almost inaccessible under the CD drive and hard disk.) after a few more moments of staring into the box, I decide to take it out for cleaning by a professional. Its out now, will check when it gets back.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/917008

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice