1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Vista and Microsoft Word - are they compatible??

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Untechnical Nat, Nov 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Untechnical Nat

Untechnical Nat Thread Starter

Hi,

I have been a member of this site for all of 3 mins, and having read some threads I realise that I really am very untechnical. I recently treated myself to a new pc, an Advent running Windows Vista. This was to replace my dinosaur laptop with keys missing that I threatened to throw out of the window on numerous occasions.

I need to load Word to allow me to write reports, download documents from email and so on. BUT, alas I have heard that Word is not compatible with Vista! Is this correct?

Forgive my untechnicality, I really am quite embarrassed as everyone else seems like Einstein to me!

Thank you for reading.

Nat

2. allheart55

allheart55

Welcome to TSG. I am running Vista on two of my PC's and I have Word 2002 on both of them.

3. Rich-M

Rich-M

What version of Word or Ms Office are you running? Office 2000 will run and so will Office XP but may have some issues depending on the system whereas Office 2003 and 2007 are fine.

4. Untechnical Nat

Untechnical Nat Thread Starter

Guys,

Thank you for responding, I will try Word 2002 as suggested.

Cheers

Nat (y)

5. Gulo Luseus

Gulo Luseus

I used office 97 on vista, and touch wood never had a prob. Went to 2007, now it coughs all over me LOL

6. older

older

I installed Office 97 on Vista and all of my documents from my old computer are now
    "read only"--how can I change that?

7. Jeckler

Jeckler

older, did you copy the docs to a CD on the old one, then over to the new one? If so, that's why. They became read only when copied to CD, and kept those attributes when copied back off to the new hard drive.
    Right click on the file (or files) in question and select properties. Then at the bottom of the general tab, remove the check mark.

8. Rich-M

Rich-M

Format the cd or cd-rw and copy to it then the issue will be gone.

9. older

older

Thanks so much. Now I can use my 1997 Word on my new Vista.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/648905

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice