1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

vista and word 2003 issues

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by [email protected], Apr 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. t2terri@aol.com

[email protected] Thread Starter

:rolleyes:
    I have vista (home edition) on dell laptop (xps/m1330)= pre installed
    i want to use my office 2003... have disks, i did install,,, all programs work except word,,,, it keeps defaulting to some strange word program or works (both unexceptable). When I want to open a word .doc it opens in strange word program, then i have to put it on the desktop convert it (saveas) .dot//// I am working from home and have to open .dot from the internet very often.

what should I do, is there local settings on my computer that I am not using??

please help
    t2

2. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

"t keeps defaulting to some strange word program"

Is it that MS Word doesn't function or that .doc files are associated with some other program.

If it is the latter, change the files associations for .doc files so it opens with Word.

To do that, right click on a .doc file. Select Open With / Choose Default Program. Select Word from the list or browse to it. Then make sure "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file" is checked

3. t2terri@aol.com

my hero.... i did that, and . doc = word does not show up in the list, all the other programms are there (ie excel, powerpoint, access)... but no word.

do I have to add some kind of patch???

4. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Did your browse to where Word is installed?

Did Word actually get installed? Does Word function? Can you start Word all by itself from Programs

5. t2terri@aol.com

bob, you rock!!! i've been looking for an answer and screwing around with settings for 4 weeks....
    i installed office 2003 it in programs on the c drive, i can open word from start> programs> microsoft> word. and I can save as and then select the .doc default. but when I ask to open a .doc from my vpin file it opens in some crazy extension.... sooo I have to send the doc to the document folder, than open it from word.

does that help????
    t2

6. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

"when I ask to open a .doc from my vpin file"

What is a "vpin file"?

Did setting the default program for .doc files to Word solve the problem

7. t2terri@aol.com

sorry, I got kicked off the computer...
    vpn... you know whrn i am working from home I am opening my work database that is in another city... I get my work documente (word) from there.

i didn't have that option (setting default program for .doc (word) that's what I think is nuts, my choices for opening a word doc is: wordpad, office.org (2.3)= this is the strange one (office.org 2.3). word.do is not listed. but when I look farther everthing else is there ..... excel, powerpoint, access.

Please help, people at work don't consider this their problem. it's mine.

t2

8. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Why can't you browse and select Word?

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/700891

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice