1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Vista and XP

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by rbteach48, Jul 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rbteach48

rbteach48 Thread Starter

I recently bought a new computer with Vista Home after my motherboard & CPU on my old computer burned up. My disk drive wasn't damaged. Can I hook up the old XP drive as a slave? Will Vista be able to run the programs on that drive?

2. ebrahim

ebrahim

As fas as I know, you can hook up any working NTFS/FAT drive as a slave and it will work; whether or not it has on an Operating System.

When you say programs however, you might probably not be able to run the installed programs because they will have to be reinstalled on the new system. You will however be able to access data, user files, pictures etc.

Since you are going to put the XP drive as a slave, you shouldnt have to worry about reconfiguring the boot devices so it should work fine as is.

Additionally, if you know how to, (and if you want) you might boot from the XP hard disk to run your old programs and settings (and you will therefore have two operating system on your disk). But usually, XP blue screens, and crashes (it doesnt start) when the hard disk is swapped from one system to another so there is a slim chance this might work for you.

3. davehc

davehc Retired Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    David
    You will be able to recover the XP as a dual boot.
    I have , a couple of minutes ago, described my own setupin a previous post.
    You will have to swap over a couple of files. Your boot.ini, residing on the XP HD, will have to be altered.
    Here is what mine looks like:
    [boot loader]
    timeout=15
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Professional x64 Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

You can edit and change the name as you wish..

Make sure you have your full set of boot files on the root (presumably now the partition on which you have installed Vista). That is:
    Autoexec.bat
    Config.sys
    IO.Sys
    MSDos.sys
    NtDetect. com
    ntldr.

For preference, should the computer have problems finding paths, I would copy these files to both the Vista (boot) partition and the XP root.

If you cannot see the above files, you should go into the windows explorer -Tools - Folder Options - View, and make sure you have "Show hidden Files and Folders" ticked and the next 2 items UN ticked.

If all fails, download and install a free program called EasyBcd. It is a full Vista boot manager editor and easy to use. It can alter your startup configuration to your requirements..

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/591637

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice