1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Vista are we in control of our PC

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by rexgrant, Feb 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rexgrant

rexgrant Thread Starter

Hi all
    What I am reading about vista is stopping me installing the copy I now own.and I will wait to see if windows can be forced to change things in their operating System see the link:mad:
    www.thestar.com/Business/article/175801
    Windows must stop this they should not disable programs on your PC without your permission
    I dont recommend auto update on XP for this reason because if you use auto updates you have given them permission to put on what they like on to your pc(n)
    Regards
    Rex

2. magtech

magtech

Stay informed bottom line if you are not hooking vista up to a Blue Ray or HD dvd player to play on a TV or your monitor this will never affect you

There are many more sides to the argument but bottom line DRM is a part of our lives

Good Luck

3. rexgrant

rexgrant Thread Starter

Hi magtech.
    I am not Talking about HD now.I am talking about programs that are suspect my Microsoft If a program is using code that can be used to make illegal copies or if you change anything within vista it can be removed without your knowledge
    when you load vista you are agreeing to let Microsoft remove these legitimate parts of that program so the program will not function correctly If you do not agree you do not get Vista.
    This is fact
    Regards
    Rex

4. Doom_Machine

Doom_Machine

as far as HD goes..you can use windvd or powerdvd cause both those are granted licenses from the big media companies ..but they wont microsoft, ms was forced by them to degrade hd content by contract less ms wanted to take full responsibility for cracked keys or something like that.

as far as everything else you are in control of your pc, you just have to learn tricks to dig deeper, sometimes it involves registry editing, sometimes digging through something like secpol.msc..etc...also programs like vlite allow full control over install and whats removed..etc
    like for xp there will no doubt be tons of tweak programs to let you do stuff you cant easily do in vista

5. rexgrant

rexgrant Thread Starter

Hi doom
    When you load you agree not to change the way Vista is set up.If you do Microsoft when it checks your pc will know that you have and will remove the activation and vista will stop running after the 30? day period.
    Regards
    Rex
    PS This post is not about HD that is only one part of it.
    I would just like to add,Why do you think Microsoft as added this driver check,so THEY can control what you put on your PC.
    There is no getting away from it.
    This is not new companys have been useing this way to control what we put on our pc's for a while now,Why do you think that we hear so many pc owner saying they can not load a program on to their pc.It is because producers are useing protection programs that if you have a program on your PC that they consider banned, their program will not load.
    Rex.

6. TechB

TechB

There are two issues here: spyware removal and DRM. The article has quite a bit of FUD about both.

All antispyware programs (including Windows Defender) remove other programs they deem as "unwanted". Doing this may cause other programs to fail. Kazaa is one example. Remove the spyware that was installed with Kazaa and Kazaa quits working even though the spyware is not part of Kazaa. Some variants of smitfraud can even cause Windows to quit working if not removed properly. Microsoft is covering their a$# against lawsuits because of this. It could possibly be used to remove other programs that Microsoft deems "unwanted" but then so could all antispyware and antivirus programs. Some versions of Norton flag Spybot as unwanted.

On the DRM issue all software and hardware players will have to implement this if they want to play the proposed encrypted HD content. Given the recent changes to the laws in the US it would be illegal to try and circumvent this. Are you proposing that Microsoft does something illegal or that they pretend that the proposal doesn't exist and shut Vista users out from playing HD content altogether? Those are their alternatives, put the hooks in now or don't get access to HD content in the future. DRM sucks big time but let's place the blame where it lays, with the content providers, not the manufacturers of devices or software to play the content.

7. Doom_Machine

Doom_Machine

lol no it doesnt
    people who use vlite even change a heck of alot more than that
    you can change whatever you want
    removing drm will not force wmp to display blue ray in hi def, in fact it wont display at all, nor will they shut you down since it only validates your id with your hardware, you must use windvd or powerdvd (not sure if versions for it are out yet) to view hd blue ray content as to the last i know they were granted proper licenses by the media companies

8. rexgrant

rexgrant Thread Starter

Hi to you both.We will wait and see,
    Best regards.
    Rex.

9. rexgrant

rexgrant Thread Starter

Hi again
    I would just like to add more info for Vista users.
    In XP you are the Administrator by default In vista Microsoft is the Administrator of you pc by default You can check this out with microsoft at user accounts in Vista.But they do not tell you how to take control of your PC and become the administrator again.This link dose
    blogs.msdn.com/kms/archive/2006/09/20/windows-vista-secrets-4-disabling-vac.aspx
    The link takes you to the site Type (am I in full control of vista) into google and read Tim Sneath post,It may help .
    Regards
    Rex
    PS I am not knocking Vista but we should all be aware of what is happening.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/541109

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice