1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Vista automatically deletes System Restore Points

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by tbt52, Feb 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tbt52

tbt52 Thread Starter

I am using Vista Home Premium, and my Restore Points are all deleted every 2 to 3 days. HP support had me dismantle all unnecessary services on start-up, and this stopped them from being deleted every time I shut down. But they only stay for 3 or 4 days and then all are automatically deleted. I changed anti-virus programs on recommendation from HP. I don't know what else could be causing the problem. Is there a patch out for Windows Vista that I'm not aware of that addresses this problem? Any help will be appreciated.

2. sockerdudex

sockerdudex

no. unfortunately it does this. but of course there are way to lets say store it on a CD, DVD, flash drive in addition to dedicating a pration of a harddrive to systwem restore points. the ones it automatically makes on your main drive expire. im not sure exactly how to do what you would like, but its possible

3. tbt52

tbt52 Thread Starter

Mine are not just expiring, they're all being deleted every couple of days, and I know space is not a problem. What do you suggest?

4. sockerdudex

sockerdudex

it does it automatically like its supposed to. like i said lookup how to change the seeting and location of restore points

5. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

How big is the hard drive and do you have any 3rd party disk deframenters installed -- like "Perfectdisk"?

6. tbt52

tbt52 Thread Starter

the hard drive is 149gb usable with 91 gb free. If all points are arbitrarily deleted at random, what good is it to have them? I already needed to use it when there were none available. I don't use any 3rd party defragmenters. Thanks

7. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

I've seen the problem caused by 3rd party disk defragmenters which manipulate the volume shadow copy cache; I've also seen it on my system which has a small drive and programs that manipulate this cache and delete old points beyond to make room for new.

But that shouldn't be hapening on yours.

Are you seeing any errors in the Event Viewer (run: sysdm.cpl) under the Windows logs > when this happens.

Look especially for "volsnap" errors in the System Log, and "System Restore" errors in the Applications log.

You also might want to run chkdsk on the drive to see if there have been any serious issues -- and also verify how much percent space of the drive is set aside for SR.

Be prepared for chkdsk to take a couple of hours to finish. You should see a log in the Applications log > Wininit entry after rebooting.

8. tbt52

tbt52 Thread Starter

Thanks for info. I'm not familiar with checking the logs, and the command you gave me did not open any Event Viewer or Windows log, but I'll keep trying.

9. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

I'm sorry, I gave you the wrong command.

To open the event viewer, run eventvwr.msc

10. sockerdudex

sockerdudex

vista does it automatically. Sorry but i dont know how to change the system restore point save location, create system restore point onto a CD, Flash, HDD, ect, and i also do not know how to change the vista feature that deletes resore points. im guess you have to go into the registry, but google the problem and it should be hard to find what your looking for

11. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

There is no way to specify how many restore points are saved -- Vista should not automatically delete restore points except when the space required exceeds the space alotted.

The space allotted can be viewed and changed through the use of a command line utility called "vssadmin", but this is probably best left alone unless you are sure of what and why you want to change it >

http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/ar...used-for-restore-points-in-windows-vista.aspx

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/680735

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice